HAAS Knee Ascender

Anyone else have a problem with the adjustable foot loop working loose? Mine frequently loosens up enough to move toward the toe of my boot and even come off on occasion.

I lengthened the adjustable bury an additional inch but that did not completely solve the problem. I have temporarily attached the adjustable foot loop I made for my homemade "Haas" ascender, out of Samson Ice Tail which never loosens on it's own but this is not a very elegant fix.

Does the Tenex foot loop hold better after prolonged usage?

Not a seperate piece...just a two part set attached to the footloop that allows you to pull the slack out and snug it tight. If this is not clear, I could try to take a pic of my footloop, might help. Different than yours, but still, the idea is similar.

Here's a vid by Oceans on the HASS 2.0 ArbPro combo...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t_HJOHcwpe4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good stuff Bix. :thumbup::)
Love the setting, looks like classic New England with the stone wall.
Very nice point of view of you working the tree with the camera set up above(near your TIP?). :thumbup:;)
Great job explaining the gear, do the ArbPro's come in extra wide? :?

Well done Bixler and Oceans. That is one of the best work climb videos I've seen and the best SRT video ever!
It showed everything: gear use on ascent, redirects, ascenders, foot lock, everything.

I'm intrigued by your lanyard though. What sort of hitch is that?

Thanks
Al.

I stitched some velcro inside my footloop and then stitched a sliding tight loop around it.
So foot goes into loop, press velcro closed above foot, slide tight loop down to top of foot...seems to work ok for a cobbled together home made effort.

Those clip-in points are slick. Ergonomic. Loading the foot relatively evenly, rather than torqueing the ankle as with a foot ascender.

I have a lot of rope walker-ing to do tomorrow. I am ready to fine tune my system more.

That was a wicked good video. Natural redirects with consistent friction at the hitch make so many things possible. I was looking at the jumping swings. That stuff is smooth when you don't have to worry about inconsistent friction.

Those clip-in points are slick. Ergonomic. Loading the foot relatively evenly, rather than torqueing the ankle as with a foot ascender.

I have a lot of rope walker-ing to do tomorrow. I am ready to fine tune my system more.

That was a wicked good video. Natural redirects with consistent friction at the hitch make so many things possible. I was looking at the jumping swings. That stuff is smooth when you don't have to worry about inconsistent friction.

That's exactly what stood out for me too. I'm very interested in boots like that.

boots are good, to be honest you really cannot tell where its supported under your foot. its almost strange because it dissipates the weight so well.

Finally looking like I want one of these. The way that HAAS is set up, I can use my stiff step with it. :thumbup:

What brand is that? Picture? Thanks.

A floating ascender might make a better rope advancing tool over a pantin on the ankle, when spurring up with a pre-set high TIP.

The blue bit.... I don't like how they have it set up in the picture, but you get the idea.
http://onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=432
f01r.jpg

I think it was Gerry that mentioned one like this some years back. Ankle strap is what he called it. I went hunting after that and bought one. I think Gerry made his though

This thread prompted me to get a 'OR1 Stiff Step'. I made a climb with the intent of paying attention to how the new Stiff Step performed. I went up 80' in an ash, got comfortable and hung out for 45 minutes enjoying the afternoon (and spooking a few deer that couldn't figure out where the hissing was coming from). I realized half way back down that I hadn't thought about the Stiff Step at all during the climb....so back up another 30'. I always notice the HAAS tenex foot loop several times during a climb being slightly annoying/uncomfortable. The wider Stiff Step with it's insert was completely comfortable and was not noticed at all.:thumbup:

I'm guessing it will work well with the new HAAS with the clip instead of a loop.

The boots I usually wear to climb have a low heel so the thicker Stiff Step makes more of a lump underfoot than the HAAS while walking on firm surfaces, but I don't plan to wear it for hiking.

Ha...I accidently sort of took a photo of it. 80' up using a 4' sling for a foot rest.;)

IMG_20140828_182058_810 cropped (Small).jpg

Back