Gopro 4 v iphone 6 video

RegC

TreeHouser
The title probably doesnt mean anything to anyone here....it came about through a discussion I had with a colleague just recently....the other guy in the tree as it turns out. Hes a big fan of apple products. Anyway, some footage from a big fir I posted some pictures of last week.

Use HD setting

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h3FvwLri_xY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yup. gopro is brilliantly and vividly clear.

The 6+ has a better camera than the 6. I haven't used a GP4s, but the 3s were about the same as the 4s's camera, with the 4s pulling ahead in some applications. I didn't watch the whole video, but in one of the scenes, the iPhone was looking horizontally at the climber with the bright background. That wasn't a fair comparison to the iPhone, neither camera has a high enough dynamic range to show details in the shadows with a bright background.

If GoPro could fix the problem where the camera randomly stops recording... I would give a larger damn for them (I have 4 3 Blacks). That's ridiculous in my opinion. Rumor mill says Apple may be coming out with a GoPro competitor, based on a patent application.

Thanks for the vid Reg, I was curios about the video capability of the iphone6. We had a go pro 4 silver before my wife returned it to get a DSLR, and she wantsthe 6+ when her contract comes up for renewal. I was impressed with the gopro while we had it and was wondering if the iphone could keep up, looks like its pretty close while still, but as soon the camera moves it gets wonky.

I knew the 6+ had the optical stabilization, did not know the plain 6 had any at all. How much difference is there between the 2? Will the 6+ keep up with go pro when the whole frame moves (as opposed to a steady shot with just the subject moving)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The 6+ has a better camera than the 6. I haven't used a GP4s, but the 3s were about the same as the 4s's camera, with the 4s pulling ahead in some applications. I didn't watch the whole video, but in one of the scenes, the iPhone was looking horizontally at the climber with the bright background. That wasn't a fair comparison to the iPhone, neither camera has a high enough dynamic range to show details in the shadows with a bright background.

If GoPro could fix the problem where the camera randomly stops recording... I would give a larger damn for them (I have 4 3 Blacks). That's ridiculous in my opinion. Rumor mill says Apple may be coming out with a GoPro competitor, based on a patent application.
It was more than a fair comparison, to be honest. I picked all the best iPhone clips from the set. And what you're seeing there is Web footage. The gopro files all came out about the same....only had to be selective in the sense that I didn't want to duplicate the what I'd already shown. The raw files the iPhone falls way short if the mark. Confused by the light, can't focus on moving objects nor mass texture like bark or foliage. Can't comment on the gopro 3 as I've not used one. The 4 is silver is the one in the vid, and it's yet to fail me. I should point out its set in medium view, not the wide angle. FWIW my phone is the Samsung Galaxy 5, and it's no better. On paper it's a high spec, and the playback looks good on on the phone itself. ...but when you load it on a 15 inch or bigger screen its shite. Their good for selfies, I'll give them that.

Thanks Reg. That cleared it up for me.

BTW, how do you like the galaxy? I have the S4 and like it, my wife hates it and is going back to apple, makes me think about it as I like when we both have the same phone for app compatibility and whatnot. Im just curious about your thoughts on the galaxy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Reg. That cleared it up for me.

BTW, how do you like the galaxy? I have the S4 and like it, my wife hates it and is going back to apple, makes me think about it as I like when we both have the same phone for app compatibility and whatnot. Im just curious about your thoughts on the galaxy.
Yeah I think it's a great phone, if you prefer android. I mean, I only use a fraction of its capabilities, but there's certainly nothing that I dislike about it so far.

It has sure come a long ways since the year I built my first helmet cam from basic components: 1998. board camera, digital tape deck, battery packs, cables, switches and a helmet display so I could see what the field was. And I must say, it was state of the art at the time. It's evolving so fast now. Good stuff.

I totally missed this thread before...just read it, saw the videos. I agree with your conclusion...called "GoPro" for a reason.

It skunked the iPhone6.

The Sony looked very good to me, too. Cool spar drop at the end. And that top that was thrown into the front yard!!!! Very nice work but that climber.

Back