Fir Speed Lining Time Lapse

rbtree

Climbing Up
Time lapse of delimbing a 130 foot tall Douglas-fir, to ready it for craning the logs in three days. One of four on this project, about 4300 board feet. Shot with the Canon 7D Mk II, and 8mm Rokinon fisheye lens. I set the speed line using a throw line and Big Shot, and only got it set at about 80 feet...not a safe line set for Patrick Clemo of Westside Tree Care to ascend on, so he gaffed up, then advanced his life line and speed line as he progressed upward. After topping the tree, he set a throw line at close to 110 feet. After setting an access line, I went up on the Ropetek Wraptor personal ascension device, then used that same line for speed lining the limbs, and was able to preset my 15 or so slings on the way down. Sadly, no images, video or time lapse of me, the crusty old vet of 41 years...We did slay that tree in under two hours though... probably 20 minutes faster than it took Pat...his tree had more limbs and larger as well. The trees had been skirted years ago, and recently thinned, so only produced 18 yards of chips. Hopefully, I'll get a time lapse of me doing one of the remaining trees, which will happen this morning....

View on Youtube, full screen, HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t4xNZbi-Fg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9t4xNZbi-Fg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We're craning the sticks Thursday, with a 40 ton crane (boom truck). The tree in the time lapse, and the one behind it, are at 60 and 70 feet radius from the crane center pin. I have room to drop the last 34 feet of the closer tree and 44 feet of the back tree, thankfully, or we'd need a more expensive and slower 60 ton crane. The crane will set up on the other side of the house for the second two trees, which are max 50 feet away, and smaller. We should have no problem picking a 27 foot butt log, which might weigh 7000 lb. But that setup isn't level, so Ness added $400 to the bill to bring in mats via a knuckle boom truck. We should be able to fly through the job, hopefully in 3hours or less of crane time, not including the set up for the mats..... Hoping the logs bring $2400, so that the homeowner gets a bit of a break.....

Crane Day is Thursday. Tomorrow morning, we're doing a Douglas-fir about 10 miles away, and using AcDeucy Crane for it.... which will mean two small log truck loads, about 5500 board feet..... perhaps we could have fit all appx 4300' from the first job on one truck, but I doubt it, as the average log length will be only about 20 feet.

Just got back home, after dropping off my groundie. First we went to the Locks, where I shoot so much wildlife.... the 70 heron nests are loaded with cackling chicks, some ready to fledge. Saw a massive sea lion at 30-40 feet distance. I'm downloading 2200 images from todays two trees...forgot to put one of my new batteries in, and missed the last 45 or so minutes of me doing the challenging tree... had to lower a few limbs, then used a controlleed speed line, due to the roof corner that we had to clear...

A quickie of Pat slaying the easiest of the four firs

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0tgYYT7Inr4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I liked the second one better Rog, sat against the blue sky.
Hopefully you'll post some stills of the crane work. Good luck tomorrow.

Back