My first video post in two years.

rbtree

Climbing Up
Since I got my new digital SLR's, which shoot full HD video, I've shot lots of good stuff. I built a new computer a year ago, needed to edit (view even) HD video, but have been good a procrastinating. I've oodles of footage to edit, and will try to get to it. I may work on transitions and titles later. Then I gotta learn about finding and adding music. And get the newest rage, a POV camera. Then I can be like Reg!! lolol.

We did this tree 10 days ago. What a beaut it was! I think the vid is too long at 12.37 minutes. Tried to edit out much of the chaff.....Also, the contractor who I asked to run the camera didn't notice that it tipped on the tripod head. Thus, the 10-15 degree off level sections.

Sorry, it's 12 minutes long....but it's HD

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UqXEBUUn4mI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/UqXEBUUn4mI

This awesome old tree had to go to make room for construction on this commercial lot. The wood is being milled into decking for the project, which may become a design studio for the owner, a sculptor and design instructor. The tree was about 40" at the bottom, and created a good 20 yards of chips, and lots of firewood from the big limbs.

The work is a little rough, as you guys who do lots of crane removals may note. We don't do many spreading trees like this, with a crane. And I'm getting a tad old...plus I have tendinitis in my left elbow, a rarity for me. My arms and shoulders have caused me few problems in my 37 years of tree work. I had three rope slings ready to go, which would have been better than the three fixed length chokers, but overall, the picks came off well enough.

To save crane time, I sent Pat up to drop or rig out a few of the limbs over the only usable drop zone. Plus, there was a roll off container in the way, which meant Mike had to wait 30 minutes to set up his crane. Then, after I craned out the limbs, Pat burst his crane cherry with the trunk picks. He had some trouble, as Mike still thinks the last cut should be made opposite where the load is choked. He thinks this, because he is then going to boom it toward the centerpin. But first, the action needs to be cabling up, which will pinch the saw when it is coming in from the back.
Otherwise, Mike's a good operator. A couple of the limb picks could have been swung away from me quicker, or I could have balanced them better.

^This.
stupidnosmile.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, guys.

Sean, the big sequoia job is one I need to get footage up on.

Good to see you haven't given up on video Roger...

As far as the tendinitis, I think it comes from one handing heavy pieces.. cut with the right handle with the left... My first experience with the same came this year after doing a lot of bucket work, day after day.. At its worst I could barely lift a 192 with the left hand.. tis cool now, but it took time.. modified the work, taking smaller pieces and lowering instead of cut and chuck etc..

I'm getting some discomfort these days along the inner surfaces of my arms, from my biceps down to my wrists. Years of moving heavy planks of lumber and this and that, and I expect that saws haven't helped either. One way or another it catches up with you.

I dunno, Brian. I first noticed it several weeks ago, when we really weren't working that much. Nothing new, as I was slow for a long time. Clearly, my condition level isn't up to par.

I haven't worked on getting it better that much, or enough yet. Need to do alternate cold/hot treatments. Working on massaging the area, using active release technique......popping the supplements I usually take, glucosamine sulfate, hyaluronic acid, topical DMSO. I'll prolly go back to my accupuncturist and see the guy in his office who does prolotherapy. I had both on my knee and shoulder back in 2010, and they seemed to help.

I'd kinda watch that DMSO . My dad used the stuff for years and it did work .However they did experiments on mice and found that prolonged usage caused brain problems .

Now just saying because my old man died of dymensia .

What did you mean by DMSO, the full chemical name ?
I want to know if it's the same I worked with during my studies at university.
If so, I'll tell you what.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfoxide

It's used as a solvent in industrial applications .Problem with that being in some cases industrial DMSO contained trace levels of mercury at one time which quite frankly might have led to my fathers problem .

Medical grade DMSO was used as horse linament and at one time was not approved for use on humans .Evidently from what I understand it is now .

After thought on this .Now this might sound silly and far fetched but some old timers swore by WD -40 sprayed on arthritic knees etc .

What the actual content of the product is remains a guarded secret but it is a solvent of sorts .I doubt seriously though if the FDA approves it for pain relief .

Yes it's the same I used for my researches on cryobiology.
Very usefull to protect the living cells from the deep freeze in liquid nitrogen. But it's a pain in itself for us and I can't believe it has "wide field " medicinal applications.

It has a great affinity for the hydrophilic and hydrophobic substances. In other words, it could spread very quickly in the water content of the body, in the fat tissues, and over all, in the nervous cells. The brain and the peripheral nerves work well only because they are isolated with lipidic components. Put some foreign molecules in that , like solvents (methylene chloride, toluene, benzene, DMSO ...) and you get some disorders more or less serious. But never harmless. And often very serious.

When you drop a very small drip of DMSO on your finger, seconds later you get the taste in your mouth.
Freaking rapidity to invade your body.
All your body, not just where you put your "medicine".

"low toxicity", they said in wikypedia !!! what a joke, it seems they didn't read all the papers given in their own bibliography
And they didn't look the label on the bottle too.

Please, don't use that !

There's a lot of chemical compounds many of us might have been exposed to in our life time they might have considered to be safe to use .Only to find out later the accumulative damage they might do with prolonged exposure .

Things such as acetone,carbon teta chloride,trichloraethane ,laquer thinner etc .We didn't know any better so we didn't do any better .Insectacides ,weed killers the list is endless .

I know in my little life I never gave it a thought until later in life .A fact I'm now acutely aware of and try my best to handle these items with the utmost of care .

It's a pita that such a beautiful tree has to go. And a healthy one...
Here, the cedrus are dying by dozens, probably after many years of drought. It makes me sick.

Nice vid and nice work, and very useful by showing the way of crane ball riding.

That's my woods ported Dolmar 7900, Jed. Stock, those will lay a whoopin on a stock 372 or 460. Ported, the 372 comes alive. I'm going to get my 372 xPW done...I only have one ported 71cc 372 left, and it needs the plug threads Time Serted.

Back