Good climber cant shapen saw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yall remember when i got my silvey and did like 100 chains .
The entire face swole up .
Har Har

But, mine hairy faced friends, IF you bring the handle UP and file 10 degres down whilst filingthe top plate, then drop the file level and out of hard contact with the top plate and file the gullet at almost 90* to the direction of chain travel you will gain cutting speed and better chip clearing. It isn't AS smooth as square filed but it sort of splits the diff in speed betwixt standard round filing and square filing.

man, I must be one of those guys Skwerl was talking about who thinks he knows how to sharpen his chain but really doesn't.

man, I must be one of those guys Skwerl was talking about who thinks he knows how to sharpen his chain but really doesn't.

If you don't know the difference between safety chain and non safety chain, and if you throw away your chains rather than file down the rakers when needed, then you would be one of the type I was talking about. :lol:

I am a good climber and I file my own saw. I hate filing the big saws but I hate seeing it done wrong.

I am a big fan of just using a fresh chain. If you buy a loop for $14-$20 from Bailey's etc it is worth it just to toss a chain that needs more than a tickling. If it takes me 20-30 minutes to sharpen a chain, I figure I just lost $25-$50.

For some folks it is worth it to spend the time. After all, what is time to a hog? :)

BTW - I am a big fan of tickling your chain often to avoid a long shapening session.

That might be true Nate, if all your waking hours were billable. If not, then you make money sharpening a chain instead of spending it buying a needless replacement during some of that time when you are not doing something billable.

Plus, it's far easier to carry a file each day instead of 3 or 4 extra chains...working in the woods, that is.

Burnham -

You are spot on but that is what I tell myself so I can feel better about my mix of impatience and laziness ;)

I don't know about anyone else, but it only takes a few minutes to file a full comp 32" chain, say 4-5 strokes per tooth. If it's been rocked, you can spend 10 or more minutes on it. This is round filing. I'm not that proficient with square yet, I run Stihl chain, which is a bit more spendy, so I milk it for all it's worth. Come to think of it, I milk the Oregon too.:/:

I actually like sharpening my chains. It's sort of relaxing I think. I get to just focus on the angles and geometry and all my problems and worries just seem to go away. It's very gratifying somehow.

Me too, it's sort of like meditation for me. Like firewooding.8)

Life's simple when you've got a file or a axe in your hand.

I know of crews around that "claim" to sharpen chains but boxes of new chains never fail to come out if they are doing removals....

Does take alot of time unless you keep them touched up.

Yeah if you keep up with the saw, then its a quick job.

Except on a really long bar then it might be quicker to swap chains and get back at it.

There is one thing about this thread that has mystified me.
Some of you talk about dumping a worn chain and just putting on a new one fresh out of the box.

Does that mean you think a new unsharpened chain cuts well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stig , thats a nice one.
But yes , the carlton chains cut pretty decent off the spool.

Back