Good-Bye Old School Hardhat

Am I the only one left wearing a hardhat?
No,I have several.However about the only time I use the thing is the rare times I'm felling.I'm afeered a "coon is going to land on me when I roust him out of a sound sleep.

Most of the time I'm bucking something out on the ground so unless lightning strikes from 80 feet up I'm pretty safe. Then again,I've got some mean squirrels that drop nuts,big ones,bonk.

I have found that the vertex helmet sits real high on my head making me look like a Down's syndrome kid

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Has anyone tried out those new HALO headbands? They have a 'lil strip of rubbery something that diverts the sweat to the sides of your face, and I think it actually works.

MB, I saw it in sherrill a couple months ago. Then I saw them at the store just the day before yesterday. I have 1 concern, though. The concept makes sense- absorb the sweat and divert it away from your eyes.

for those of you that don't know, imagine a head-band sortof like what you see tennis players wearing, but on the inside, but a strip of thin rubber less than 1mm thick on the inside, about 1/4 inch from the bottom.

So I have this OTHER headband that is thinner than the HALO, but I wear that to cover my ear when it is cold or windy out. It fits under a helmet, so works well for tree work.

Here's my prob w/ HALO. I stay a LOT warmer when wearing my ear warmer head band. Halo is made of even THICKER material. I think though the halo will keep sweat out of my eyes, overall it will just make me warmer. Fixing one prob, but making another bigger prob.

I opted to keep my $14 and haven't tried it yet.

love
nick

I have found that the vertex helmet sits real high on my head making me look like a Down's syndrome kid

Ditto, my brother/groundie looks really silly with that thing on his dome. :) I got a ecrin rock, find its more comforable than the vent.

I believe the Vertex is adjustable in how high/low the harness is mounted in the helmet...might look at that.

Headbands just make me hotter. We work outside in the South. In the summer, we are dripping with sweat from 9am until we get home after work and get in the AC. Nope, I don't want a headband.

Preppy looking headbands (and wristbands) are for soccer moms who want to color coordinate their 'outdoor wear' while walking from their air conditioned SUV to the air conditioned health club where they pay money to ride on a stationary bike while watching Oprah.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hate headbands too, but I hate sweat pouring all over my eyeglasses distorting everything even more.

sorry for such a small contribution. I'm short on funds at the moment. Will gladly contribute more when finances allow.

Has anyone tried out those new HALO headbands? They have a 'lil strip of rubbery something that diverts the sweat to the sides of your face, and I think it actually works.

I have the Halo dew rag and it works well. My only complaint is the color. but otherwise it works and that little plastic gutter does keep the sweat out of your eyes

I got a ecrin rock, find its more comforable than the vent.
Ecrin Rock is vented... & works.
When is a 'cap' truly outdated ??? Is there a 'shelf life' ???
Have I compromised my lid by plastering stickers on it ?
Are there stats to support any claims of OLD HELMET IS NOT USEFUL ???

Yes, the plastic is photo-sensitive and becomes brittle over time.

Each helmet comes with information on this

In my construction days I put on a welders cap ,back assward under my brain bucket. Kept the sweat out of my eyes.

Alot of the guys are wearing fancy do rags under their hardhats these days, Al. The young guys do it to try and look hardcore and the older guys are doing it so no one sees their bald spots when they take their hardhats off. The stereotypical "burly" construction worker seems to be a thing of the past.

Back