Gardening 2015

Aiming to plant a garden of my own, and Dahlia's, for the first time. She helped plant seeds. There are under the ceiling fan to help toughen against wind.

Got to make time to clear the garden beds. Fallow last year. No time like the present. I'll smother some grass and weeds with cardboard for a start.

Aiming to plant a garden of my own, and Dahlia's, for the first time. She helped plant seeds. There are under the ceiling fan to help toughen against wind.

Got to make time to clear the garden beds. Fallow last year. No time like the present. I'll smother some grass and weeds with cardboard for a start.

Now I may well be wrong, but I don't think that hardening seed(lings I presume) with a ceiling fan is any use.

Wind hardening, not cold hardening. It's windy here, with a mountain funnel and open pasture nearby. I think they would get flattened fast. Dunno.

My garden, as yet unplanted, is under surveillance. I was walking out to my OWB and I saw something run up a tree that was way too big to be a squirrel. It looks like news of my impending garden has gotten around. I could have reached up and touched him, but I like my fingers too much.:lol:

IMG_20150504_130913897.jpg

I don't know what the deal is with that other pic I keep trying to upload. Might have to resize it in Gimp and then try uploading.

We just finished tilling up the garden and got it ready for planting. We then put in 600 hills of potatoes. It took us less than 2 hours to do the planting, with the help of the Kubota and the hiller attachment. 100_6594.jpg
Joel

Sort of posting this for Jamie and a couple others.
This is one of friends and clients that does permaculture gardening.
About every tree service dumps chips on them and whole brush. I personally have dropped a few or more trailer loads on them.
Also, when I prune their oak trees, they use the whole brush to make berms as well. The live oak down in that big pasture I just did, you can see it in the video, they started a berm just above it in the draw to help slow the water run off on it's way to the pond to help the tree out some. Not to forget, all that berm will be rotting and adding nutrients to the soil right there as well. Some interesting ideas.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wrQqyFsjMI4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Got the onions in the ground. Reds, yellows and whites.

My garlic I bought was all dried up, so I put it in a pile and buried it.:|:

I can just go to the grocery store and buy some garlic to break up and plant right?

Any garlic mechanics in the House?

I think you can Jim but don't quote me on that. We plant our garlic in the fall and harvest mid to late summer. Is it to cold there for that?

I plant it mid fall, but that's still fairly warm here.

You can use store bought stuff just make sure it's not imported. Seems like you get a lot of that just like us.http://livingtraditionally.com/you-...den-garlic-from-china-here-is-how-to-spot-it/

Aussie garlic farmers are doing it real tough, you can buy a whole bag of Chinese for the price of one local bulb. Just bought some tonight $15 a kilo or $2.50. I won't use that chinese crap.

If it doesn't look like this it's no good. If the roots are missing like the second pic it won't shoot.

p1000479.jpg p10004801.jpg

You will need local garlic so you need to go to a seed supply place or a farmers market. I can't remember clearly but there are differing varieties of garlic. You will need the type that requires cold weather to induce clove division. Best bet find and follow a hippie.

Back