Gardening 2020.

Bummer about your older trees, Stig. What was your aspen hybridized with? Those old malus sure can hang on by any little thread of life. Damn tough trees.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Populus tremola x tremoloides.

So basically a cross between the European and the American trembling aspen.

They were planted widely here to be used in the fabrication of matches.
Then someone invented the cheap, use and throw out, lighter.
Oh well.

Nice back or front yard. I like how the front of the wood sheds still has grass. By the time I finish stacking mine, there is only bare dirt around the sheds.

We bought a new place almost four years ago now. First thing I did after we closed is put in three raised beds and plant some fruit trees. The place came with a 50’ avocado up near the garage and a poor little navel orange by the driveway. As soon as I fenced off the orange to keep the deer off it it improved immensely. I’ve been expanding the garden ever since. Were in zone 7b here so we can grow pretty much all year long. We planted fuyu persimmon, apples (Braeburn, honycrisp, Fuji), pluot, prune, figs, pear and Asian pear, pineapple guava, loquat, strawberry guava, cornelian cherry, bananas, lemon, lime, and mandarins.
ive been obsessed with perennial vegetables as well. Lots of tree kale, sweet potatoes, fennel, ashitaba, cow parsnip, lovage, good king Henry, sorrel, Caucasian spinach, New Zealand spinach, Robinson Caruso cabbage tree, moringa, artichokes, walking onions and society garlic. Oh, and nopales and day lilies. So many cool plants out there! The garden is my happy place. F47FCBEB-6BDF-4C99-9E17-38B84C790B17.jpeg 9FAFA381-1F39-44CD-BC6D-E19C5D786869.jpeg 88AEE669-41AA-419D-B507-0E5F05BDABB6.jpeg 0B370B62-BC9E-4172-91AD-679761B5DE8F.jpeg

I thought you pick goose berries when they are red.
We like them a little sour, and this variety only gets a slight blush of color. I’m also too lazy to net the bush, so I start picking as soon as the birds start into them. I had to fight my son to keep keep them on the bush this long!

Back