Gardening 2012

Best is to water under leafs, it help give taste and character to leaf.
I'll try to water a bit like that in end so I get more flavor out.

The tobacco I have is a very kind and easy to grow plant, require sandy dirt and lots of water...

Our garden is suddenly being overtaken by Nutgrass. I think it came in with some compost we added. Any ideas how to get rid of it?

I guess if it is a vegetable garden, herbicides are out. Not many options left, it seems. Some folks suggest moving.

Nutgrass or nut sedge? We have nut sedge here and it can be a bear to get rid of

Nut sedge and Onion weed here, very hard to get rid of. Doze it up or move.

Tobacco was a big industry down south once, easy to grow. I worked down around there for a few years, not much but trees, sheep and some high range cattle.

When the tobacco industry was dying out a lot of farmers turned to growing something else.:/:

I am not sure if it's Nutgrass or Nutsedge. I'll post up some pics when the rain stops. I read that an overdose of sugar will kill it, but isn't that true of most plants?

a drastic pH change might do it, one of my clients has a small lawn area, about 15x15 and he dumps 50 lbs of Dolopril lime on it each spring, kills out the clover, moss and dandelions over about 30 days.
In my business we are now limited to commercial vinegar and / or safers soap Topgun which is a soap based plant killer.

I think nutgrass is a common name for nutsedge. In a garden I think your only choice is to dig it up and try to get the "nuts" out of the ground also.
I had a strip of dirt a couple of feet wide and about 20 feet long. I stuck eight tomato plants in there. I think they have been in the ground for two weeks now.

Attachments

• Photo1968.jpg
    Photo1968.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 6
There are selective herbicides available here but for nutsedge they are crazy expensive

Is anyone else making aerated compost tea this year? Kind of a little hobby of mine with great results. I'm going to make my own fish fertilizer too, but I hear it is pretty stinky. I picked up a nice fish at the market to chop up today.

Willie what do you consider expensive? Afterall this stuff is insane. If seems to regenerate in a day or two if you don't get the nut. At this rate I will have to replant the garden. Weeding is not what I would like to be doing with the little time I have. The garden is only 15x60 so presumably I won't need much. Although it is probably only sold in gallons or better. So what are you recommending?

Yah Jay thanks that one rings a bell. Although Willie suggested, as I can only assume, a heavy duty herbicide to kill this stuff, it is in my veggie garden and I have well water. So I am attempting to find some natural or less toxic way to attack it. Most of those in the thread reccomended Monsanto products or herbicides I probably don't want to eat. I will prevail. Thanks.

from the other day, things is shaping up! Except the weather, still in the low teens C daily and plenty o rain.

Attachments

• 101_0907 (Large).JPG
    101_0907 (Large).JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 101_0908 (Large).JPG
    101_0908 (Large).JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 101_0909 (Large).JPG
    101_0909 (Large).JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 101_0910 (Large).JPG
    101_0910 (Large).JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 101_0913 (Large).JPG
    101_0913 (Large).JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 101_0915 (Large).JPG
    101_0915 (Large).JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 101_0918 (Large).JPG
    101_0918 (Large).JPG
    112 KB · Views: 8
  • 101_0962 (Large).JPG
    101_0962 (Large).JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 7
Willie what do you consider expensive? Afterall this stuff is insane. If seems to regenerate in a day or two if you don't get the nut. At this rate I will have to replant the garden. Weeding is not what I would like to be doing with the little time I have. The garden is only 15x60 so presumably I won't need much. Although it is probably only sold in gallons or better. So what are you recommending?

$379 for 10 oz....... Qualifies in my book
http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/sandea-herbicide-post-emerge-10-oz-285.html

I've heard of guys putting plastic down in the summertime and letting the sun kind of bake the soil and killing everything. But you lose a year, and it might not work.

I used a green tarp the first year where here. It seemed to have killed everything off. After ammending the soil with compost from the local supplier I now have this crap. We'll see.

I've heard cultivating in the summer will dry the bulbs out but again, you lose a year. Or at least a summer.

Here is my new polytunnel.

We got started too late this year, but next year I plan to utilize the space between the chili plants to grow shortlived stuff like fennel and tons of basil, which will be harvested before the chilis grow big.
P1010991.JPG P1010994.JPG

I got a hankering to make my own fish emulsion fertilizer, there is mention of doing it on the web. I can't find fish emulsion being sold here....odd for such a fishy country. Home made is supposedly better too. The markets all gave me the cold shoulder about getting guts and unsold fish, said some service takes it all away, so I went to a fish restaurant in town, and the owner was happy to oblige, saved a big plastic bag full for me. You have to rot it in a closed container, and add some greens to help absorb the smell......still, it is about the most mf terrible smell after a few days that you will ever experience in your life, like an entire city dump contained within a five gallon bucket. Just opening the can to stir it after a day or two takes some courage, and better to do it mid between the hours of eating anything. Keep the flies out, I found a few maggots in there too. After about two weeks, the smell pretty much goes away, the bacteria has worked it over pretty good. If you could grind it up before starting the decomposing process, it would be better and probably faster, I only chopped it up into little pieces, except for one big fin that I just tossed in. I added water to the can, enough to cover the mix, and the mush turns to a heavy brown liquified gravy. Being concentrated, you have to dilute it for both aerial spraying and watering at the base. it isn't entirely completed, still a few more days to go, still el stinko, but I have made a couple applications with the stuff to test it out, and I can really tell that the plants go apeshit over it, get a lovely color and it's like they suddenly are reaching to the sky to praise God or something. I only recommend it if you have a strong stomach! I feel kind of sick here just thinking about it.

Back