Gaffing out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOL. wish I had one. Im a fan of smooth. Less room for error. That's what they use to tell in the army when doing a shot house, enter and clearing buildings, Slow is smooth and smooth is fast... Hope when I get old I have a lil more then smooth stig....lol...I just hope everything still works when im 60. :lol:

Ima try my damndist not to. That would hurt like a mother. Man I couldn't even imagine that , those new hooks I wish I would have bought a long time ago. But, hey now I have both sets.

I have a 5/8ths cable core with swivel snap and Petal macro grab for the sticky ones. I use regular climb rope remnants with a swivel snap, Vt prussic with tending pulley for the non sticky ones. Length would be species, job, demographic, and climber Dependant.

What if you just hike to the TIP and leap frog limbs? In this senerio, no climb line with you. I'm trying to get a good idea of a 2 in 1 lanyard that is one hand tending.

always have a climb line that will reach the ground. It acts as my second lanyard/flipline. I just keep different sizes. Down to even a 20 footer for small trees.

Yea I have a climb line with me most of the time, Lets say you hike up with a bull rope tie a running bowline and rappel down on the bull rope, how would u leap frog the limbs without your climb line with you.

I just wouldn't. I would use my climb line for the rappel from a retrevable high tie i n. Then redirect my climb line to move about canopy or retreive.and reset my tie in as needed.

It is a awesome deal,:D I was halfway up the pine I practice on and idk, The confidence grew fast with those hooks. Even when I was in the top were it's I would say 6 inch dia. I brought one knee up and the balance was there, Not a record breaking time but 50ft leap frogging limbs to the top and setting up to ddrt back down in just over 8 min. :D. That's a hands down improvement for me.

That's good. Could you shoot a line instead of climbing to set your line? That will be an energy saver. I'd spend 15 minutes fiddling on the ground versus 8 to save 50' of climbing. When the same throw line skills save you setting up in bigger trees it helps conserve more energy. Shooting a line and installing a rope might only take 5 minutes, or less.

Don't get me wrong... Just saying you could become more effective gt by using a throw line, over time. You will take time to learn throw lining skills, and say many 4 letter words.

My best climbing saver was shooting around 175' for a hanger in an old growth, and about 150' for a Wraptor ride in older growth. Many 100' shots. Love throw line skills.

Climb with a climb line. Rig with a rigging line.

I rappel off a spar on my pull line, on a munger hitch, keeping my spurs and lanyard as life support.

Thanks southsound, yea I practice on the munter hitch rappel yesterday, I made a 2 in 1 lanyard for the times I have to climb to set a pull rope and rappel on the munter like you have described.

I agree. If I rappel down a rigging line I use the lanyard around the spar for life support. The rig line is just a way to get down.

Thanks southsound, yea I practice on the munter hitch rappel yesterday, I made a 2 in 1 lanyard for the times I have to climb to set a pull rope and rappel on the munter like you have described.

Makes sense. Do you have any incapacitating insects/ snakes/ etc, in your trees?

Shoot a pull line in when you can. Don't isolate it, rather run the one end down to the base and running bowline above the facecut, knot on the back cut side. A strong branch at the collar should take many/ most reasonable pulls. I spent 5-10 minutes the other day to shoot a pull line in a dead fir. Easier than climbing. No need to move 150-250 pounds of climber up and down a tree, when the throwline/ weight will do the trick sooo many times.

While trying to go quickly up the tree to set a pull line, how many chances do you have of falling to your death, accidently? How many times could you fall to your death, when propelling a 12 oz weight on some throw line?

Throw lines are your friend, that's all I'm getting at.

Keep learning.

Jed posted about a guy who fell and broke his back while rappelling with a munter hitch. His rope slipped, dropping him several feet, at which point he lost control of the rope.

A groundman can give a fireman's belay, that is where the groundman pulls hard down (not the munter locking position!) in the event of a free fall by the rappeller, locking off the munter hitch. Set up the groundie to use a trunk wrap to help the munter if there would be questionable friction, like a very heavy climber.

When we lower things, all else being equal, i like the groundman to set up next to a tree, so he can use a little trunk wrap if there is not enough friction in the system, or to tie off, as needed, if there is no ground-level lowering device (natural crotch, Belay Spool, port-a-wrap in the tree).

Ima get a figure 8 for a situation I had friday, my throw bag was at the house so I couldn't use it, had to hike up set then come down . Yes I always have a lifeline /lanyard or climb line on the tree unless im only on climb line coming down. Im super safe.

That's what a hitch hiker is for.

Does the 8 do something for a redirect that a biner won't? Honestly, I never set a retrievable redirect. I saw on on tree stuff that looks slick... Just a biner with a retrieval clip. I look forward to seeing some new tips and tricks.

I know, not everyone has an SRT device, or two.

If I didn't, I'd make a virtually free wooden rope wrench, again.

Mainly, my point was that you need a biner for a munger, as well as to connect an 8. Why duplicate?

Both valid points, im going to go with a figure 8 , maybe, For me less gear is better.

Back