Gaffing out?

ch74

TreeHouser
Can anyone show me what to do in the event of a gaff out? Video or pic or even a detailed description. I would like some help with this, it would b appreciated. Want to practice this weekend. :D

...dude , easy one. Both hands (if available) grab safety !!!! Not the Tree. Small drop seems shitpants frightening first few times.

I actually practiced gaffing out for a few days until I could kinda feel my way back in if that makes sense. If you just keep your hands on both sides of the rope it will catch and then just catch your breath and stick the spurs back in the wood.
Here imo is a great video that should help you out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GO225gxHN0

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks fellas. I think I kinda get it after practiceing it, correct me if I'm wrong but right when it happens u kinda arch ur back away from the tree as to try n get the lanyard tight and keep your hands were the lanyard hits the tree?. But basically its just shit scarey when it happens a few times . I practiced with one gaff on n one boot. Then switched . My hands hurt. Lol. That's bout it.

Pull inward with both hands, cinch the flipline tight, jam a knee up between your hips and the trunk if you slide much.

Don't push or arch yourself. RELAX back into your saddle. Fatigue will hurt you faster then gaffing out. Try this. Set your lanyard so you can move up the tree like normal. Let another 2, 3inches of slack out. Do it consistently. Let me know if you kick out as much.

K I will tucker. So basically lean back more then normal. I think that's what your saying.

lean back and kind of stick your butt out. I've never really gaffed out before. Lost one here and there, but never both. . .

The biggest thing in my mind is to stay calm! The higher you are the more your brain wants to spaz out, it's just how we're made. But you can train your brain (see what I did there) to be chill. The best thing is too take a couple relaxed breaths (the best you can at the moment) then think of something that makes you super happy and chill. Then just stand up with the steel in the mill baby!

Thanks grendal. I never really have either like u. one here n there . (Im just prepin for the worst). What's your technique for just flip line n spike climb, with no TIP for saftey for whatever reason u don't have one.

Right on. Focus on what you are doing, not where you are doing it.

ETA: Pretty standard I'd say. Have a good look at the tree, safety check, gear up, and hike up. I like a "Step Step Step, Flip" tempo and a nice stiff wire core, but everybody is different.

How far do u flip your line up, then hike to its like waist level then toss back up?

Basically. Practice makes perfect. Best bet is to get a good TIP and work on your flip line techniques with the additional safety of your primary climb system, tailing slack as you go.

Yes sir , I do that with the safety. I was just wondering how high u flip the lanyard up bfore u hike till it's about waist level. Just trying to get a idea how far I should flip it up.?

I flip up to about a 45 degree angle above my shoulders then walk it almost to my hip. I have found (in my noobish wisdom) that if you walk it too far it becomes a negative setup and feels unsure when you release it for the flip up. But that could be because I am still a little green.

As far as you can. It will have to do with how long you keep your lanyard and how many steps you feel comfortable making.

Starting out, flip it up high enough to make two small controlled steps before the lanyard levels out with your belt. You'll get a feel for it, or not. . .

:evil:

;)

Yea it does feel iffy the more close to my hips or below it gets before I flip it. So flip it about shoulder to face level then hike to almost even with hips then repeat. Sounds about right?

K thanks gauge. And grendal that's what I was asking . Thanks. I like about 3, left ,right, left , and flip.

Yes, I'm suggesting that you work the tree at a slightly different angle. Gaffs that are sharp(not over sharp) will kick out like a dull gaff if you are constantly moving or standing with them pointed straight downward. They ride straight downward through the wood that you are gaffed into. As you angle back a bit, your points will point inward into the tree more. Now the weight you are putting into them is being driven more inward into the tree and not downward as much towards the ground. When you ascend, try, if you can not to keep your body completely parallel with the trunk of the tree or in some cases of newbies, the climbers ass will protrude out off the tree and their chest and chin will be touching/hugging the tree. No good. Sometimes you'll have to ascend somewhat parallel with the tree. Especially if you are battling a little to drag/flip your lanyard up the back of the tree because of rough bark or nubs. In that case, you'll eventually get the feel as you take each step for whether you gaffed into a little meat or stayed too close to the surface and will slip out.

Even after you get past this hurdle and become more fluent, you'll still gaff out here and there. It will startle you less and less. It still wakes me up good if I gaff out while running a saw. Especially a climbing saw. I'm usually snugged into my climb line and lanyard when cutting so it doesn't happen much. But occasionally I get complacent and make a quick cut on just my lanyard. Usually if Im nipping a small limb out of my way to ascend up the tree. That's about when ill ride the bark express a few inches downward and remember quickly what that silly rope snapped on the back of my saddle was intended for.

Back