Full body harness

I skimmed.

@TINYHULK

You don't need anything you don't have to ascend/ work SRT, presuming you have a drill/ bit, a stick, a scrap of cord, and a carabiner.

Also, you can easily convert a handled ascender to a knee ascender, and add a scrap of rope for an adjustable foot loop, with a bungee cord from a craft or outdoor gear store. I have handled ascended around from my old rock climbing days. Readily available used or new.

Before installing a base-tie SRT system you can clove-hitch a carabiner or use hitch cord for a carabiner for a 3:1 MA system

Also, commonly pre- limb walk, install a basic 3:1 before starting.

If you have a floating ascender, you can install this at whatever distance you choose away from you. You CAN even wait until you are at the end of your limb walk, if you forget, or realize you need it. Just push the 3:1 ahead of you with a cut branch.

There are more tricks as you advance.

My first SRT was on a Grigri, pre-ZK1, circa 2005-6
F8 revolver came next.
My first rope wrench was a stick, following Kevin Bingham's example.

A stick with an angle rope hole through it, and a tether... that's it, all you need to turn a hitch cord and biner into a srt set-up. I used a hammer handle. A stick works, too.

It would work on a blake's hitch, too, i bet.

made my own suspenders from an old rucksack, takes hidrobag in the back, radio, phone.
never stopped using it even when theres lots of lateral movement in big canopies

I read all the free PDFs I could

never really bought books, but from what others have said, jeff Jepson and beranek are the good book writers, I got the green one for christmas, maybe I should get the white one as well
other than that, climbing arborist, august, muggs, and a few others on youtube

I never got formal training, and look at me, still alive and well, training a climber on every job we do, best training is to just go for it, get an idea of what your doing, practice that knot or technique 30-40 times on the ground, then low and slow, then go full send

You train a climber on every job?

In response to the harness question. A full body harness can be more supportive but thats not always the case. The Y style rope access harness is designed to accommodate fall arrest equipment and perform tasks directly in front or close to the worker. They are awful to try and roll over in or do anything really tricky like climb through a canopy. The upper portion is to support the worker in the event of a fall to the dorsal or sternal attachment. Its so you don't flip upside down. I would stick with a properly fitted tree work harness. I haven't used suspenders before. I tried a few harnesses and found the Monkey Beaver Carries a big saw the best without sagging to much. Im 5'10 and 160 for what its worth. hope that helps

Back