Harness bloodstopper pouch

ruel

TreeHouser
I'm thinking to get a bloodstop pouch to fit in that neat little holder on my treemotion. Had a Wesspur order built, but called to ask about their "bloodstopper pouch". Apparently it just contains a normal compression bandage.

Does anyone know who sells a hemostatic gauze kit that fits on a treemotion? I'd really like the clotting stuff if I ever actually need to use it.

Medical folks- is there any reason people shouldn't use bloodstopper powder/ gauze? Is there a reason the wesspur kit doesn't use hemostatic bandages?

I put an Israeli bandage in my pouch.
Mind you the only time I've had to consider reaching for it, I wound my cuff tight on my wrist first and it did the job till I got on the ground, when I slapped a #14 wound dressing over it.
Saved $10.
Bad silky saw cut, nicked a vein.
Direct pressure wins. if it doesn't, add more, then go for the tourniquet

Celox might be gentler.
Marines had Quickclot or Kwikclot or however it was spelled. Coming to the hospital with chemical burns and necrosis because they thought it was funny to put it on shaving cuts. Stupid.
Looked like sand, and like sand it could get carried by the wind, so watch your eyes if you open that stuff outside. That would SUCK.

Hopefully it’s a thing of the past now. Still, it worked to cauterize arteries. Sometimes.

Worked First Aid ... my superiors wouldn't consider ordering the Celox. Feeling was in over fifty years there was never bleeding that couldn't be controlled with what we had in our packs

I carry cellox gauze in my main first aid kit. My general opinion is that you need to get the frig out of the tree ASAP and messing about with a haemostatic agent up there is going to reduce your chance of survival. I have cut my brachial artery in a tree & my survival was down to a rapid exit and a tournique etc when I hit the ground.

This is my stuff...

20210728_133252.jpg

Never know when you'll need some quick pepperoni :^P

That's just to keep stuff dry. I have some clotting powder, an Israeli bandage, a rats tourniquet, and there might be some little stuff like bandaids for nuisance stuff. Can't remember. I should see what I have.

I carry cellox gauze in my main first aid kit. My general opinion is that you need to get the frig out of the tree ASAP and messing about with a haemostatic agent up there is going to reduce your chance of survival. I have cut my brachial artery in a tree & my survival was down to a rapid exit and a tournique etc when I hit the ground.
Yep , agree ... I never have first aid on my harness as it's in the truck if bad shit happens , though I always am prepared for bailout emergency descent for same shit. Makes a difference how I manage my line and takes a little extra time , but worth it to me ... how I roll.

I have a couple of these in our first aid kit...along with a couple of tourniquets. I built each of us a “go-bag”, containing first aid kit, water filter, fire starter, etc.

QuikClot Advanced Clotting Gauze - 3 x 24 in

Fabric bandaids in my harness pouch for silky bites prevents a descent to go to the truck for patches, or a delay waiting for them to get sent up. That's to keep the work progressing.
Over here you must have a large wound dressing on your harness or belt when operating a chainsaw, it just wouldn't enter my mind not to have basic first aid items on my body when working.
I have a first aid kit in the toolbox on the chipper and one behind the seat in the truck, the more the merrier.

I agree with carrying basics Bermy. It’s ok having a well stocked kit in the truck, but if your cut and throwing blood around, then I would want my grounding to run towards me to use my kit on me,not to the truck To rummage behind the seats in blind panic. When things are in balance the psychology of the situation is critical IMO.

tourniquet......best if it's bad. Put it on until distal pulses are absent. 9 times out of ten the first responders do not apply tight enough. You should practice applying to yourself.....kinda awkward.

quik clot is what we rock in the trauma room. I bet its expensive for john q public. Really a stop-gap to OR.

best plan is don't FOCK up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not looking to apply in trees. Some trees are 1000 feet from a driveway, or on an Island. Looking to bomb out and stop bleeding on the ground until I can get care.

Wary Of mechanical tourniquets Because it was my impression that they can/ will kill tissue below where they are applied. Is that incorrect?

What NoBivy said.
That wrapper on the CAT is gonna slow you down if you ever really need it. It’s not sterile nor does it need to be. Throw away the wrapper and practice one handed application to a limb. It’s pretty simple, but you don’t wanna figure it out while playing human-sprinkler.

Wary Of mechanical tourniquets Because it was my impression that they can/ will kill tissue below where they are applied. Is that incorrect?
That isn't something I'd worry about. If you're pulling out a tourniquet, things are pretty dire. As long as it isn't on too long, I think the damage is fixable.

If you got a tourniquet on, your next stop is a trauma ER. Let a doc or surgeon take it off.

[/QUOTE]
.... Tourniquet s , two sides to them (pun intensive). When I took OEC they weren't being taught anymore , nine years later they were back in the training and book.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, I think my wilderness emergency response class was about 10 years ago. I guess kwik clot just seems like a good improvement. Can't tourniquet your neck

better to lose a limb than bleed out

hours can pass with tourny and limb will be OK, besides....bleed out is dead

most I see are not tight enough.

Back