Fuel and oil in the woods question

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
Question for you guys who have experience working in the woods, say when you are covering some distance as you are cutting.... I've gotten tired of having to go back to wherever to retrieve my backpack that has gas and bar oil, when I need to refuel, especially when there is brush to tramp through. I'm thinking of setting up something where I can carry gas and oil in a pack on my belt, a half day's quantity or so, as usually I'll be hiking back to the truck for lunch. I guess I'll find out soon enough if it's a good idea or not, but the weight, I dunno... Can anybody suggest a convenient method that they have found for transporting gas and oil when moving around a lot in the woods, and keeping it handy?

This govt. thinning job I tap into from time to time, entails a whole lot of moving around when cutting, and wandering in no particular direction is the case more often than not, wherever the trees lead me, so to speak. I'm looking for a good system. I usually need to have available a couple liters, or so, as usually I'll hike back to the vehicle for lunch.

Thanks for any ideas.

Jay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If it were just falling the trees, I guess that continuing to wear a fairly light backpack might be ok, or setting it down at the base each time, but after falling, I've got to then buck up the log and cut and stack the limbs and brush. I don't like wearing a pack when doing that, it gets cumbersome....and hot!

A lot of the trees are tall ones, so after moving down the line working to the tip, I'd rather not half to go back to retrieve the pack, and I might be wanting to go in a completely different direction than back towards the base. That's why having the gas and oil somehow always in my proximity, makes sense to me. Those extra steps to go back and retrieve, when you multiply by how many times all day long, and like I mentioned, especially in thicker brush, it adds a lot of effort. Carrying a fairly large saw at all times too, plus dealing with a pack, I'm just thinking there has to be a better way. I did run across a guy who was carrying oil and gas on his belt, just a couple plastic coke bottles full, though. That's where I got the idea. Just wondering if some particular way is standardly done in this situation?

I have an old jug that carries about a gallon and a half of gas and maybe half a gallon of oil; .I haven't used it in years but it was okay back when I did .Somehow I lost all the caps for the darned thing .:?

It wasn't too bad to tote ,saw,scrench,file and that jug plus two wedges and a thumper .

What ever you use, 2 liter, antifreeze, window fluid jugs, a strap between them and just planning ahead. Place them where you think you will be and just advance them ahead of you. Around here, most guys don't want to have to hike back up to the road mid day for gas. Often times they leave the powerhead in the bushes at the end of the day and just pack chains out to sharpen

Just heading out this morning, and after snooping around at the big home center, found a nice little belt pack that will hold two containers. Will try it out today. :) Those Sigg bottles are a great idea, not having to mess with a screw cap.

Thanks for the thoughts, good help.

This is the set-up I put together, No time to get the aluminum containers yet, but it worked well today using plastic bottles, with the unit attached to a belt. The weight was noticeable, but not a big deal. I could stuff a drink in the outer pocket, and my shades. 8)

Attachments

• gaspack.JPG
    gaspack.JPG
    403.4 KB · Views: 1
Back