FOGT- Wedge compliment-Gerry, clarification please

I came up with the nylon idea, because I got tired of lugging the traditional steel shims around the woods.

Used to be steel wedges and steel shims around here, loggers must have been way tougher back then.

5 grand! Wow. Far better, that than going in the fire box, Stig. Amazing story. thank you.

So you lost your elm's and now you're losing your ash. Didn't mean it to sound that way, but to lose two species in a geographic area is just a crying shame.

Can't say the same here for any indigenous species. Some imports have bit it though.

It took about half a century between but two species where wiped out here .The Americam elm and now the ash tree . The elms in the 60's and the ash recently .

Pretty crazy story: It was a wonderful broad canopied elm,one of the last living ones in the country, standing next to Jomfruens egede castle

I talked them into trucking the log down to a hardwood auction in Germany instead of letting the firewood guy loose on it.

It sold for a little over 5 grand:D

How nice of you to send your diseased elm to Germany!:lol:

The DED stuff probabley went through Europe before it went through North America .It didn't get them all here in the 60's but eventually they all die from it .Fact I tripped a 24" elm a couple years ago .There's a few in the woods yet but they are small pecker poles .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We hvae elms at my house, and I know of some in Olympia, as well as reports of some dead from DED in Buckley, WA. I'm hoping to be too far away from other elms to have beetles fly my way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stig,

In your elm pic, I see two stacked wedges on top of the near stack of shims. Please explain.

Ran out of shims!
Only time we have EVER stacked wedges, but also the only tree like that we have ever had.
Normal trees, where crazy firewood cutters haven't removed ½ the branches tend to fall when you w3edge them about 10 degrees over, at most.

As for sending a diseased elm to Germany; 3 things: DED had already laid Southern and mid Europe waste before it came north, it was felled in winter, but the auction wasn't till next fall, by then the elm bark beetle that spreads the disease had ledt it, and third, we still haven't forgiven them WW1 and WW2.

I know it was the English and not the German who started biological warfare, but still.

Jerry, the elms were bad enough, but they were never really a forest tree here.
Loosing the ash means we have no species left that can thrive in the semi wet areas, except the red alder, which has no commercial value here.

I've been clearcutting half dead ash trees out of low lying areas in Ledreborg forest all week, too dead to be good for anything but firewood.
Yesterday evening I was standing in a high spot ( as high as they get here! ( better forestall Burnham & Willie, the comedians:)) and looking over the wasteland where the ash trees used to grow, thinking: " What is going to grow there hencefort?" ( On a forum where whilst is OK, henceforth must be fine, too )

The answer blows in the wind, really.
Being this far north, we have very few species, all occupying their specific habitat type.

The forests as I have known them, will never be the same.

Yesterday I told Martin, our apprentice, that in times to come, he would be able to dazzle loggers with his tales of felling Ash all winter.

A couple of winters more and it'll be over:cry:

Last edited:
I know it was the English and not the German who started biological warfare, but still.

It started a long time before WW1 .The medevels flipped dead cows and bodies of people who died of small pox over the besieged fortress walls with catapaults .

The Koreans are supposidly the first to use poison gas in naval warfare against the Chineses and Japanese .
Also supposidely the Koreans could build a sailing armored war ship ,basically a galley in 40 days from the time the trees were felled until it was fully functional .No chainsaw back then either just a bunch of axe swinging little crazy men .Lots of them evidently .

De rail over back to stacked wedges . Those things ,steel ones can really make to dance around if one spits back out and cracks you in the shin bone .

Right you are, Al.
I was thinking more specifically of breeding bacteria/virus to use as a weapon.

Jerry: Good idea--seems like the Swedish dendrologists wld have be all over that stuff.

Stig: Funny thing: I hit my wife up for her cutting board, and of course got denied. So I very tactfully said, "Say, where do you think I cld buy some nylon cutting boards like that for the lowest price?" "Uhm... I think that a pack of two is only about three bucks from IKEA," she said.

You Swedes have all the good stuff.:lol:

Back