• Prusik

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Becket Or Other Hitch

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I Hold On With My Arms/Legs The Way God Intended

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not doing this a ton, so I haven't really had the need so far. I've done one white pine(winter), and was anticipating my stuff getting trashed, but I made out pretty clean. My dead spruces were pitchy as hell inside, but the outside wasn't bad. If the time comes for a pine lanyard, I have a lot of choices from my collection of rope ends, but if I want a wirecore, I'll have to buy it.

You can splice one up too if you want. I use a rope lanyard on deciduous trees until i get to the large trunk, and have wire core with a hitch and another with the exact same adjuster. Honestly since i only use wire core on the larger diameter stuff i don't use either a bunch. Most of the trees i do I'm able to drop the stem so i don't have to piece it out all that often.

I'm a little jealous of Treesmith's treemaster lanyard. I think that would make a fantastic flipline in ⅝". That's what's gotten me closest to learning how to splice. 3 strand is pretty easy, but the hard lay makes it a little more difficult.

You just need to use tools, that's it. You can even put wire on the inside to make it a wire core one

Are use 5/8 Sampson stable braid with an ascender. A prusik is actually a lot better in the Pacific Northwest, because it will retain the slack that you need for climbing big trees, but I just cannot get past the ease of adjustment that the ascender offers.

I may actually… Just go back to a prusik now that I think about it.

Jeez, Kyle...you can build a car from the ground up, too...but what a waste of time to get an inferior product :D.

Lol well played, but I'm not sure i follow.... inferior product? Are you saying 3 strand wire core is inferior? I run the premade braided ones and i don't use them very often, on most stems I'm coming down making a couple cuts so setting a rope lanyard isn't that hard but Jerry even talks about making Manila wire core for flip lines in the fundamentals. Can't be all that bad i figured, i have a 3 strand non wire that i use for construction positioning and it is super easy to grab. With the helical hitch i have for adjustments I'm not sure what you could really do to improve it, but the lanyard sees far more abuse than a tree one would. The one problem i have with the nice premade braided ones is that they are hard to inspect.

John, I'm sure you've noticed a trend that you could save a bunch of money and still get to try out everything you want to if you learn to splice stuff. Honestly i find it as important as knowing how to tie knots. It's simply a part of the trade.

Yea, splicing's cool. My interest is more in wire rope and 3strand than the other stuff(well, tenex slings are cool too). I think I like knots for stuff like hitchcord, and I'd have trouble trusting my work when there's an invisible component. I've pretty much 'got' splicing as it pertains to my areas of interest. I just need to get off my ass and do it.

Start with 3 strand, then go to wire. Tenex is super simple. Double braid is complicated until you do it a couple times, then it's no big deal.

Unless it just hurts your old hands to do so.....

As far as flip lines adjusters. You should haveboth a mech and a prussic with tender pully.two seperate lines min you can switch over to.
5/8ths 3 strand with a stiff hand and a metal swivel clip is the bomb for straight stem work.
My cable core is also 5/8ths with a Petzl Macro. Gibbs on the 5/8ths 3 strand. Prussic on my 11.7 for canopy.

Lol well played, but I'm not sure i follow.... inferior product? Are you saying 3 strand wire core is inferior? I run the premade braided ones and i don't use them very often, on most stems I'm coming down making a couple cuts so setting a rope lanyard isn't that hard but Jerry even talks about making Manila wire core for flip lines in the fundamentals. Can't be all that bad i figured, i have a 3 strand non wire that i use for construction positioning and it is super easy to grab. With the helical hitch i have for adjustments I'm not sure what you could really do to improve it, but the lanyard sees far more abuse than a tree one would. The one problem i have with the nice premade braided ones is that they are hard to inspect.

John, I'm sure you've noticed a trend that you could save a bunch of money and still get to try out everything you want to if you learn to splice stuff. Honestly i find it as important as knowing how to tie knots. It's simply a part of the trade.

What I doubted was that any home made wire core would be as good, and also would be far more work and trouble for little gain in expense, than a commercial version.

Back