2 in 1 fliplines?

What did you end up going with for spurs? Sorry if you already said, and I missed it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
2 3/4" buckingham steel, with caddy pads

other than mine ive never seen them in the real world (videos dont count)

I sent a picture to a friend, he said "oh my, your going to hate those"

he thinks his geckos are the best I think lol

A lot of this stuff is a matter of taste, and not right/wrong. You could use the most expensive, well made piece of gear that most people love, and it just doesn't work for you. Only problem is you have to spend the money to find out if you don't know anyone that has the gear you want to try.

Caddy's solved the problem of"Climber Kickback" Which the soft pads were notorious for allowing the frame to shift back behind the calf. Beside being uncomfortable the utility of the tool is even compromised.

The main problem with the "Caddies" least the old ones, I know from long experience, is they were fixed ridged to the frame of the climber at a hard 90 degree angle. Being so the top of the Caddie was the only part of the pad that came in contact with the shin. The bottom of the pad... not. All weight bearing and pressure is put solely on the top of the Caddy pad. Oh, the pain

The new Caddy's, I think, corrected that shin alignment problem.

Check out the foam insert pads on the old caddies, they always wore out on the top!

To remedy that problem most old Caddy users almost always used extra padding to fill in the gap to help even the pressure across the pad. Which helped, but....

Everybody's shin is little different, of course.

Believe me I tried every shin pad ever made, up to the turn of the new millennium. And even made my own.

The best I ever used, ha, were the carbon fiber geckos. Because, first of all, they're angled to conform with the contour of the shin bone, and be flexible at the same time.

Believe me those are the real Caddy's.

Other opinions may differ. And that's OK. You young'uns can suffer until you learn better.

Not withstanding new tech, and gear today. But over all you youngsters got it so easy today.

Caddies here, work great for me. The leather pads I had early on...awful. I used to put martial arts shin pads under the leather pads and it was still awful. Caddies made spur work tolerable.

I said years ago, "It all comes down to picking what is the most least uncomfortable" and never truer for a professional who spends hours everyday in the gear..

The new gear is sooo... more comfortable. But spend enough hours even in it... it'll start wearing on you til it hurts.

It's just not natural. We were not meant to be hanging from ropes and standing in spurs for hours on end.

But in the meantime we're getting better at it all the time. New ways!

Had someone ask me why i used the banded earplugs rather than the over the ear muffs as they were better science along with what else i did/preached.
Said it was cuz i'd actually use them more; cuz i could/would use them more.
Usability is a big feature, fatigue is not.
Just like being in a position that strains to snapping, or even reduces lung capacity; can hear a clock ticking in head, no numbers, just awareness to clear pass this point ASAP.
i tried the Dbl. end lanyard deal.
Tom Dunlap showed long ago and branded as DEDA: Double Ended Double Adjustable lanyard;
it wasn't fer me.

The single/double lanyard choice isn't my concern. I make only short ascents on spurs, actually the least "pure" spurs climbs as possible (about 30' is the most I can recall), even if I take them for most of the dismantlings. I put a rope first, or advance it with the telescopic pole (main way). I'd hate to struggle with the lanyards to pass a crotch on spurs.. I don't use a lanyard and rarely now a steel core lanyard. It's all the time two climb lines with their own mechanical adjuster. They give me the most versatility for my climb, as I can swtch at will between SRT, DRT, in climb line or lanyard mode. This reduce noticeably the number of manipulations, both climbing and positionning.

Last edited:
Had someone ask me why i used the banded earplugs rather than the over the ear muffs as they were better science along with what else i did/preached.
Said it was cuz i'd actually use them more; cuz i could/would use them more.
Usability is a big feature, fatigue is not.
Just like being in a position that strains to snapping, or even reduces lung capacity; can hear a clock ticking in head, no numbers, just awareness to clear pass this point ASAP.
i tried the Dbl. end lanyard deal.
Tom Dunlap showed long ago and branded as DEDA: Double Ended Double Adjustable lanyard;
it wasn't fer me.
I dont like it either, I just use a second lanyard (also terrible system)
whenever I can, I just run a climb line and flipline/lanyard

A lot of times i look at lanyard as redundancy, but then also a shorter anti sway to the long climbing line, set about 90 degrees apart
Not all the time, but fair reference point.

I thought I would report back my experience with two prusiks to adjust each side of my two in one. all I did was add the second prusik to the same biner and it worked great but it was a little tight on space with the biner and I used a good size pear biner. One thing that just came to me is that I'm going to add another bine. So that way each prusik will have its own dedictated attacent point. So I have the option to attach to any ring needed. Separately

Last edited:
I thought I would report back my experience with two prusiks to adjust each side of my two in one. all I did was add the second prusik to the same biner and it worked great but it was a little tight on space with the biner and I used a good size pear biner. One thing that just came to me is that I'm going to add another bine. So that way each prusik will have its own dedictated attacent point. So I have the option to attach to any ring needed. Separately
set one up for lower D's, and one for side D's

Exactly Or one pair on the right D and the other one on the left D to hopefully balance just right for the cut. If need more length I can set up in a choker configuration.

And with the two friction hitch set up I can use different hitches besides the English prusik I have been running. Any hitch for your climb line will work now since the pull is only one way on the rope

Back