First Big Top - using redirects on slopes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It stayed together. The tree was healthy but the needles were causing problems with the roof. If the union had looked weak I would have automatically tied to the rear lead but in this case they both seemed fine.

Brian, I suppose if the rear codom had a lean towards the house it was best to pull on it to be sure the center of gravity of the spar got moved past the tipping point? Is that the consideration?

You are very right...he's a good one to work with...good thinker, good doer. And when he is right about something (and I am, therefore, wrong) he doesn't rub it in too badly. :lol:

I worked in the woods with my Dad a lot when I was in my Teens...He was a hardass, which is probably what a stubborn knucklehead like myself needed. There were times when I would have loved to call him on a mistake, but he would have gotten mad as hell...guess that is probably where I get my stubbornness :) I was glad to have him to teach me a lot, very young, but I was also glad to take off on my own when I was 18.

I hate it when any of my family sees me screw up! I am sure they don't though :)

Hahaha...leastways they don't acknowledge they saw it. They are probably smart enough to watch sideways and only laugh later. :lol:

Stephen..."Little turkey"....:lol::lol: You gotta love those kids!

Brian, I suppose if the rear codom had a lean towards the house it was best to pull on it to be sure the center of gravity of the spar got moved past the tipping point? Is that the consideration?
I don't think so.
To get the center of gravity past the tipping point (with the front tree tied), you just have to keep pulling a little more. The problem with the front tying is that the union could break during the pull, sending back the rear trunk on the house.

For me, if the union looks weak or at least untrustworthy, I'd prefer to cut the stems separately. Because while the rear is tied to protect the house, the front one can fall by itself when you are cutting the face.:O
I learned that in The Fundamentals:D

You mean put a round turn on the front lead and then tie that tail to the rear lead?

That way you would be pulling on the front lead which was tied to the rear lead?

I hate it when any of my family sees me screw up! I am sure they don't though :)

That is how I feel about my apprentices.
Hate to screw up when they are watching, it ruins my image as the all-knowing mentor:lol:

3 months ago my current, Martin, came and asked for help putting a 120 year old beech next to a forest road on the ground.
It had severe lean towards the road, so I used every trick in the bag, whizzy and all to drop it along the road.
Sucker pulled a big root out and landed smack in the road.
"That didn't work too good" said Martin and took off for the next tree, leaving me to clean the road up.
That totally made his day:lol:

:lol:

That sounds so much like an experience of my own with a nasty rotten snag that I lost to the opposite side a few years back. Doesn't matter that I forecast that the chances of it going to my chosen lay were uncertain...I didn't succeed in full view of 3 youngsters. They were a little kinder than Martin, but not by much, Stig :D.

It's good to make mistakes once in a while in front of your co workers or employees.Least they know your human and not perfect.

Back