Fiddle blocks use

flushcut

TreeHouser
Just throwing it out there in Da House, but what's y'alls preference for attaching it to the rigging line? I started using a six coil prussic, then a long braid VT, so I just ordered two steel, one small and one large, gibbs. Lately I have been doing a lot of storm damage, big hangers and stuff on buildings but nothing major, where I need to set two lines one run to the GRCS and the other a control line pretensioned and just got plain tired of tying a hitch.

Be careful the gibs will cut the rope at about 2000lbs load. I use a prussic wwwith a knot a foot or sonbehind it to stop creep. Been a long time since I used a fiddle block though as we always have the wheel loader on hand.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lNoW51a94BQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Unfortunately, I don't have a cool wheel loader like Paul has. :(

So, I stopped using any cam device or any Pusik for heavy mid-line loading. They always all seem to fail at less than 50% of the line rating.

However, any 'proper' knot is usually safe at, or above, 50% of the line rating. So, I switched to the Triple Bowline {below} for ALL heavy mid-line attachment. All other knots seem to become 'axe' knots with extreme loads. The Triple Bowline is always un-tieable after heavy loading and usually good for up to 50% of the line capacity. If I know I'll need more than one purchase for the haul, I'll tie as many as needed in tandem in a separate line, depending on the pull range of my fiddle block.

triplebowline3.gif

;)

We use to use the triple bowline all the time when I first started with my dad. The nice part about it is that it's easy to untie after heavy loading.

What Paul said.. I have a rope grab for it for light duty stuff. Serious pulls, stay with a prussic.. I use the 3/8 Ultra Tech.. the cover on it will melt before your bull rope BTW...

Back