Fallen Trunk in Pool

NickfromWI

King of Splices
We get to clean this up tomorrow. I haven't seen the situation. Just one picture.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366261818.203337.jpg

I hope we can hang a block in the neighboring palm and use the truck to lift the piece out.

I'll report back.

I told them $500-$1000 depending.

love
nick

Tom and crew had to retrieve a big oak that fell in a pond a few years back .That didn't go so well .Got the trucks stuck,dropped the saw in the water .

I have been doing a lot of tree removal from the creeks that run through my property. My 346 almost went swimming Sunday. I got damp once this year. One of these days I know I am going to fall right in. There are worse things.

Oh yeah HEAVY, and that's before it hit the water.
From time to time washies lose their heads over here too...some kind of fungal infection, the top can go as quickly as a couple days...
IN hurricanes they are the worst affected palms, just fold over about 10' from the top.
They are next on my S*&t lost after Canary Dates...rugged thorns and dirty

I've had many a good time doing that. Try cutting under water, thats where the action is!:D

Shelby does it all the time! :rockon:

587628.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It went perfect. The trunk was light as foam. It's been dead a while. So the water-soaked parts were lighter than normal healthy palm "wood."

I spiked up, set a block, and used the truck to lift it out. It still took a while but we got our money's worth out if it.

I'll post a couple pics when I get home.

love
nick

This one better shows what we were dealing with

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366378829.416163.jpg

First job was to set up a few lines.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366378968.118317.jpg

Then we put a little tension in each line. One rope was holding the top half of the broken half. The was holding the lower part that was in the pool.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366379065.234581.jpg

Then I sliced the broken off piece in half. The ropes helped to make sure they didn't fall more into the pool.

Once that was done we backed the truck up to the edge of the pool and lifted the pieces up and out of the water,

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366379203.184479.jpg

I Müntered the rigging line to the pintle hitch. I'm not sure how kosher that is, but it worked like a champ!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366379272.213880.jpg

Then all we had to do was chop pieces and chuck them into the truck.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366379340.781314.jpg

Like I said- the wood was super punky. It was all falling apart and didn't weigh a thing. Here's a piece that was sliced length wise.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366379387.681486.jpg

Here's a close up of the spaghetti that made up the inside of the tree

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366379454.398820.jpg

It still took us three hours to get it all finished- but you won't hear any complaints from me!

love
nick

Nice Nick.

I'll use my pintle for a rope anchor point. A note, if you don't grease your pintle ring/ hook, you will wear them down. I put a plastic bag over the rope/ hook area to prevent greasing the rope.

I'll also flip my pintle hook slug upside-down when pulling at an angle that would pull the rope into the gate/ latch of the hitch if it were right-side-up.

Easy enough to put a lowering device in the hook, as needed.

I don't know why it failed. If I did some research, I'm sure I could find some fungus that rotted away the inside.

Good call on flipping the pintle hook upside down. I didn't like how a lot of the force was on the top part of the hook. I'll make a mental note and next time it'll surely get flipped. I was gone put the porty on it, but it was tied to a tree at the time and I didn't wanna hafta retie it.

love
nick

Ya, munter or termination knot on a big clevis or steel biner on the d ring. inevitably, with the munter, you will have a 180* bend around the rope.

you could have a bollard with cleat welded on the passenger side of the step/ hitch, opposite the plug. Alternatively, have a bollard welded on a receiver tube and mount below the pintle.
...or get a bms belay spool to compliment your p-o-w.

palms dry out real quick when they die, done several like that here, after about a year theyre like a spounge and they fall apart, my buddy bumped one next to the tree he was climbing and it bent in half
good job rigging it out

Back