EPIC ICE STORM !!!

Well ,US 1 is not the answer .

I too ran I-95 before it was completed .Back in my seagoing days going both directions from Norfolk .North to New London Conn and South to Charleston SC .South bound you had alternate 50 miles of interstate and 50 of some other road ,not always the best --late 60's .

that diff lock is a good thing! im excited for you! are you going for sure? when do you leave?

I just got home. Been out for the last few days flying a bucket doing sub work.

What a freakin' disaster... shy of a nuclear bomb blast.

Brian, winterize your truck fuel if you head north. Nothing worse than a froze up oil burner.;)

I assume you mean that I need to buy the fuel additive and add it when I fill up? Will do.

I hope the hydraulic fluid will be thin enough to work. I'm running AW46, cold weather apps they recommend AW32. It'll have to work though. I'm sure it will be fine once it warms up.

Willie, nothing is set up yet. But Greg said he may be able to hook me up with one of the big dogs up there. I'm just looking at the possibility of working up there vs. not working down here. I've done two small jobs in the last 2 weeks and we got 3 more months until the Spring work begins to pick up. I can't afford to go that long without work.

He's gonna freeze his floridian azz off, lol! Good luck!

You said earlier you hate Ice Storms, thought you was always from the bayou areas, wouldn't think you seen much Ice. 4 to 6' of more snow coming tonight , colder than ________.

Be safe in that weather you young bucks, Ice, Snow, downed wires --dangerous challenges Just what a tree guy nut loves :|:

Yes, that is what I meant.
Power service seems to be a good anti-gelling additive. Up here most Wal-mart's have it.

On another note, does your truck have a block heater? If not you may want to look into one or a oil pan heater. What weight of oil are you running?

With the hydraulic oil, just take your time first thing in the morning and let it warm up. Let the pump circulate it for a few minutes and it should be fine.

Brian, AW46 should be fine, down to 0. Get TWO pairs of coveralls and TWO heavy coats as well as the thremals. Unless you want to spend the money and get water proof coveralls and coats, you can have one set drying while you are working. Been there, done that!!! If nothing else you can throw the wet stuff in the cab and have the heater running to dry them out. While you stay dry.
I've worked a few, one day it's frozen, the next it's melting, the next it's frozen. It sucks being wet!!!!!

Spend a bit, get some good stuff, and it makes it worth it being out there making money!!! Good luck man!!

You said earlier you hate Ice Storms, thought you was always from the bayou areas, wouldn't think you seen much Ice.

Sure, we get them - just not all that much. In the last 30 years we've had 5, of which I worked three of them. It SUCKED. Uncle Sam took most of our overtime pay.

As you go north chances are the fuel will already be doctored up with winter additives .

TSC stores are a pretty good place to pick up foul weather gear. Get some rubber boots your feet will thank you . You will find it is better to dress in layers ,add a little or take off a little depending on the temp .

4 to 6' of more snow coming tonight , colder than ________.

cza0486l.jpg

Brian, you guys are welcome to make a stop here, If needed. I have a spare bed and couch. I'll fire the grill and there are always brews on Ice. I'm not far from 95. Just so you know.

Wow, that's fantastic! Of course I'll stop by to say hello and add you to my list of 'Treehousers visited'. :D

I don't want to post it on an open forum but I'll definitely get hold of you and swap phone numbers before I leave. Greg, Erik and I'm sure a few others here have my phone number as well, so if someone along the way wants to call me while I'm gone just ask around the forum for my number.

Have fun, and be safe, Brian......remember, no cotton...(carharts, etc) get poly pro underwear, and fleece...winter weight.....goretex for wind resistance...insulated boots, maybe studded ones as well. beefy gloves....
you might need chains for the truck...? you taking the bucket, right?

Word is, our next storm will bring another 2 feet to the mts, and possibly an ice storm in places, and east winds in our foothill towns of up to 70 mph.

I skiied today, and will tomorrow at least....

yup, for winter wear its best to be over geared rather than under, a few bucks will get you set up right and ready for almost anything.

Except Erik and Mike, I have no idea what might get you prepared for them. Greg seems ok. :)

Back