EPIC ICE STORM !!!

We've got about ten inches of nice fluffy powder. I might go roll around in it later.:P

Just kidding, it's about 15F and I'm nice and warm right here, thank you very much.:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm mainly working on my best customers spread .... cut out a large Ash breakout .... piece probably weighed 6000 lbs. weight was spread out on branch tips at ground and lower limb , we pieced it out sparing the tree from further limb breakage / loss .... cold all day !

I can't imagine working in ice and snow and I don't want to.

You northern guys are a tough bunch.

It can have advantages, especially frozen ground hard as concrete allowing the bucket truck to be easily driven anywhere it will fit, and all the other vehicles too. Basically, as long as you dress for the weather, and the equipment all starts in the AM, it's cake.

Well, within limits. I personally wouldn't want to do any work at below 0F. But from 10 or 15 degrees up to 32 degrees, it's nice.

I would agree with you about toughness re guys who wouldn't hesitate to work in below 0 weather.

Snow makers can be a touch nuts, but that isn't always limited to winter time working conditions.:lol: I ran compressors on a snow making crew, saw some -20 with wind, plus the wind in the engine compartment when you open the door. That's the coldest working conditions I've seen.

I spent one winter doing the valving sites on a 20 inch natural gas pipeline .

For a two week stretch it never got above minus 5 below . They never shut off those big 245 Cat track hoes or the D9 sidebooms during that time . The machines held about 300 gallons of fuel each .

Now you think tree people are a crazy bunch ,work around a bunch of cowboy pipeliners some time .They take the prize .:D Those guys put in 42 miles of pipeline in 42 days .12 hours a day,7 days a week in that kind of weather .I must have been just as nutty because I was right there in the thick of it too .

Now you think tree people are a crazy bunch ,work around a bunch of cowboy pipeliners some time .They take the prize .:D Those guys put in 42 miles of pipeline in 42 days .12 hours a day,7 days a week in that kind of weather .I must have been just as nutty because I was right there in the thick of it too .

I don't believe it Al. I call BS! I spoke to my hillbilly pipeline cowboys down the road and they said you must be measuring your pipe differently or using something like that commie metric system. And these guys can lay some serious pipe!!!!:D

;);):P:P

Al, what state did you do the cold weather pipe laying?

Ohio ,from north of Van Wert to Lima .Welded pipeline constuction company of Rosebud Mich was the prime contractor .I can't remember exactly the year ,mid 80s' I imagine . Cold as a well drillers ass that winter .:(

It was a war between two giants ,the gas company and Standard oil of Ohio[Sohio ] .The gas company nearly doubled the price of gas .Standard oil presented them the fickle finger,the middle one .They bought the right of way easements and tied into a pair of high pressure 48" cross country lines and ran 42 miles of pipe .They had to reduce the pressure from 800 PSI to 200 PSI thus the 5 valving siites I worked on and nearly froze my behind off .

Day INSIDE , so far ... with another storm working it's good I'm not ... still working up prices for damage jobs , we will be using an old ski patrol tobbogan to foward wood on the next one ! There is good $$$ to be made but it hasn't been easy , maybe there'll be a New pair of Wescos' under the tree this year !

Man I WISH ! alot of these hi-enders do NOT want any kind of rig off the driveway ... except of course the lawn tractor during the summer !

We used to be all over the mountain at our little hill. We had three BR275's for grooming, and about ten assorted 3700's and 2100's for odd jobs. One 2100 had a flat bed, another was a fueler for the Hedco's and another for pulling cars in the parking lot that seemed to think triple rowing and blocking people in was the cool thing to do. We had three BMW suvs with their horns blaring one day.:evil:

Been interesting here these last few days after our mini ice storm. Temps dropped to zero or below along with 40 mph wind gusts making the wind chill around - 25. I was surprized that more trees didn't have more limb failure with all the ice coating. There was minor damage but not much. The ice itself caused more damage.

Looks like you guys to east of Illinois are going to get a taste of what we have had here yesterday and today. Tommorow is the day it is going to let up.

Enclosed this pic of one of our trees. Kind of cool looking with the ice

Attachments

• PC220001.JPG
    PC220001.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 11
The ice thing is odd .It seems a tree might handle maybe a half inch of ice with no wind .A little wind makes things tough on them though .3/4 to 1" of ice will bring down a even mighty oak with no wind .

UPDATE ... I'm still cleaning up , climbing to cut out breaks ... went back to ski patrol part time .... this work will continue for a LONG time ...I've started to get some revenue , first NEW boots then maybe fix the chipper ... I'm on my way back up !

Back