Elbows are gone

darkstar

Rockclimber/ treeclimber
Ive been climbing a bit ,,, not letting my crew know, just doing on small side jobs while they do the big hard core stuff .
Im getting back into the swing of things ,, but my freaking elbows hurt so bad .
My right arm , i can barely extend.
Not sure what to do,,, it seems my tree climbing days are over.
Is that glucosimine any good ?
Or am i just worn out for good ?
This is or would be my 25th year doing both rockclimbing and tree climbing
The rockclimbing thing is still going great after my ten month break,, but when i hold a saw out ,,, especially one handed the top muscles above my elbow scream .
It hurts like chit.
You guys get this ?

:?

tennis elbow?- i have it in both arms, anti imflamatories and rest. Gotta make sure you use the saw with 2 hands too to share the load

I had a problem with one elbow, but it has gotten much better.
I know people who have or had a similar thing. Like Pete says about treatment, but time seems to be the biggest healing factor. Often it takes about a year.

Is it your joint that hurts or the muscle. It sounds like you are explaining that the tendons that connect the muscle to the bone are hurting like Pete was saying. Rest anti-inflamitories and Traumeel will help. Traumeel will increase the blood flow to effected area which will help it heal. Tendonitis is a tough one as you have to lay off to let it heal. When you start back remember muscle can increase in strength 3 times quicker than tendons so dont build up too quick. Rule of thumb for sports is to increase 10% per week, kinda hard to do at work though:(

The pain you describe while holding a saw with arm extended is perplexing.

You also say it is above the elbow. What is it? Elbow or forearm?
I may be able to help but I need you to be more specific.

I am having nerve problems in 1 elbow, but I think this is different from tendon or muscle issues. The doc says it is most likely due to running chain saws so much - the vibration has irritated the sheath around the nerve. Aside from 2 fingers that go numb occassionally it isn't too bad. At least no pain.

I take glucosamine for my ankle though, which I broke 3 years ago. It helps with the loss of cartalige that causes arthritis.

River is right...are you talking triceps, biceps muscles, or the muscles that run from the outside edge of the elbow (lateral epicondyle) and then across the forearm?

That band of muscle-tendon is prone to classic "tennis elbow", also known as lateral epicondylitis. It can be rehabbed, lots of www info about it, you just need to ID it properly.

Ice, rest, cross-friction deep tissue massage and re-strengthening is part of the rehab for tennis elbow...especially not re-injuring it.

I've experienced some elbow pain in the past month or so. I seemed to last about 2 days. I just think I over worked it. It was painful. But, I seemed to have healed...I hope.

I do wonder if the repetitive motion with hand saws will cause many arbos to get tennis elbow.:?

watch how you sleep at night......if you pull your arms under you and they fall asleep, it will make tendonitits worse...

I do wonder if the repetitive motion with hand saws will cause many arbos to get tennis elbow.:?
The short answer is YES.

Using 2 hands on a hand saw can help a great deal with this. Always use a sharp blade & to much down pressure while drawing the saw back will cause more stress on the elbow.

Hey Dark, I would also like to add that your rock climbing activities & exercises could to a degree be conflicting a bit here with tree work.

If I could, I would like to see a pic of your forearm fully extended while holding a 200T. Not from the side but from above.
Another pic of the same forearm while lifting your weight with only finger tips on rock or what ever would go a long ways to help me tell whats up.

I had tennis elbow and it took a long time to go away. Letting it rest long enough to heal is hard to do. You have to reprogram your mind to do things differently so you don't continue to aggravate it. Habits are tough to break.

watch how you sleep at night......if you pull your arms under you and they fall asleep, it will make tendonitits worse...

Exactly, other than strapping yourself to the bed how do you keep your arms out from under you?

That's what my injured elbow is from. The pain is a bummer, but the loss of strength is really disturbing. Now I'm using both hands for pruning & handsaw work. My left pinky is always numb.

Well ,you will all find out that as you age you will learn to do things that are more ergonomically easier on your body . Either that or you give it up all together .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ive been having alot of problems from the way i suddenly started sleeping . Waking up with my elbow hurting and super stiff.

Teresa, If your pinky is numb you have a pinched nerve. Find a good massage theraphist or chiropractor (I 'd seek the massage). It is absolutely worthwhile to see a MT every couple of weeks during the busy season-Feeling better and being more productive offsets the $50-$75 that a session costs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well ,you will all find out that as you age you will learn to do things that are more ergonomically easier on your body . Either that or you give it up all together .

Ive certainly learned that with rock climbing , and its made me better.
If i could just quit working around the house whilst sipping red vino , my elbows might recover .
:O

Back