Dump Trailers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The design and finish quality of this Big Tex is far superior to any trailer I have owned in the past. I'm impressed with the way the tongue beams curve and tie into a solid cross beam where the hydraulic cylinder is mounted. There are 45 degree braces at the back corners to prevent frame twisting. And small details like the heavy duty wire cover on the plug wire, and a plastic case for the battery. If you think all dump trailers are the same, this trailer will prove you wrong. I'm really glad I didn't buy either of the used trailers I was looking at.

20210930_143350.jpg 20210930_143516.jpg

The Big Tex is built/designed well, for the most part. I had a list of little things I found wrong, several of them cosmetic/quirky issues. Foremost was the king posts at the rear. Rather than being integral to the frame, they were butt-welded on top of the floor, and quite poorly welded at that. They broke loose on the very first load I hauled with it. I’d have preferred a heavier floor, but that’s a special order thing and I needed it right then.

The 20’ is nice though, and is almost fun dumping at a gravel pit where the load can shoot out...

View attachment IMG_7888.MOV

I had a 5x10 dump for years. Galvanised, used to use it for palms.

When I was moving up here I sold it to my mate who used to work with me. Turned out it's trailer city here, trailers everywhere, couldn't believe it and the prices are sky high for used ones.

I could have got a lot more for it here but he's a good bloke, no regrets there.

This is my first dump trailer. It’s ~17’ long. Factory trailer, but someone cut/lengthened it 4’ (did a fair job of it). Scissor hoist stayed in original position, so it doesn’t raise near as high as one would like, but brush/wood slides right off when you pull forward. I cut the side boards on the right side so I can load a bunch at the rear and hop the Boxer on the front when needed. I keep it as a backup or for times I need an extra. Removable side boards means it gets to haul lumber and such when needed as loading the other two with a forklift is impossible.
79ABB431-DD74-4011-B4FE-3EAD95B524C6.jpeg

I’m looking at possibly getting a new dump trailer in the next week or so as a tax write off. Local dealer has Loadtrail and Iron Bull trailers, both equipped with the new 3-way style gates. Brian, does your new Big Tex have the 3-way? Just wondering how it would affect/hinder with tree debris?

No, it doesn't. I have a friend who has one though, and he's never used the 3 way. Just extra weight and more places for the gates to get bent out of shape IMO. Trailer prices are insane right now due to steel prices, but I'd recommend checking with Big Tex, Top Shelf and Texas Pride. Our local Load Trail place was about $2K out of range for me and I am not familiar with Iron Bull.

If you do get a Big Tex, their one weakness is the gate doors. They use plastic caps on the tops of the hollow tubes instead of welding them closed, and they hold water. Easy fix is to drill drain holes at the bottom of the tubes so they don't hold water and rust out. My buddy's gate hinge rusted off at just over 1 year old, my welder guy fixed it for about $35.

Every new one I’ve found has the 3-way. Wouldn’t take but a couple of hours to cut/grind/re-weld and eliminate it, but would prefer one without it.

my Load Trail had the plastic caps on the tailgate as well I think. They get knocked off and lost quite promptly. My Big Tex had several issues, but I’ve pretty well gotten the kinks out.

Last edited:
Top Shelf or Texas Pride. Basic, solid trailers without all the pricey add ons.

Although I do like my Big Tex, and the 3 way gate wouldn't be enough to turn me away from them. The finish is much nicer, wiring is heavier and lights are better.

I’m looking at possibly getting a new dump trailer in the next week or so as a tax write off. Local dealer has Loadtrail and Iron Bull trailers, both equipped with the new 3-way style gates. Brian, does your new Big Tex have the 3-way? Just wondering how it would affect/hinder with tree debris?
Do yourself a favor and look over that Load Trail.

I’ve got a load trail and don’t have any complaints really. I upgraded the jack as the original was a bit small and broke at a very inopertune time. And the flimsy wire door holder open things got switched to chains and a hook.
The three way gate doesn’t seem to have any issues with dumping debris. I’ve never used it any other way than the barn doors though

Back