Dump Trailers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, I will. Just finished estimating my times and booking my motel rooms. If I don't book ahead and plan on just pulling over when I'm tired, I never stop and end up just pulling into a truck stop if I don't run off the road. By booking ahead and reserving rooms I can give myself a target or goal for each day and enjoy a decent meal and good night's rest with clean sheets, shower and cable TV. I also won't get my sleep schedule all jacked up by driving through the night. First night will be in Scott, LA just outside Lafayette. Second night on the return trip will be in Daphne, AL just east of Mobile. That leaves me 500 miles on the third day to get home. Leaving here next Sunday morning and returning by Tuesday evening, new year's day.

Sounds like a plan - just don't put much stock into those clean sheets. Toss that bedspread in the corner and don't touch it. I'd even bring my own pillow.

Hey, I've worked in Daphne -- about 8 water oaks slaughtered. It's really not far from there to the Florida line -- about 30 min. to Pensacola.

Been really happy with Hampton Inn whenever I've stayed there in the past. Not concerned about the sheets (and I never touch the bedspread).

Sitting here contemplating why I'm spending almost $12K to replace a trailer I just bought a year ago, and ended up writing this email to the folks at U-Dump. Figured I'd post it here as well.

Hello,
I purchased one of your trailers almost exactly one year ago, a 14,000 lb 7x14x4 dump trailer. I wanted to share with you a list of issues I've had and why I will never buy another one of your trailers again. The people I dealt with in Ocala were all great, but the incredible number of issues with the trailer prevent me from ever recommending you to anyone. I'm sharing this list with you in hopes that perhaps it might help with future design and quality control issues.

1. First off, the trailer delivered to me had 12 gauge steel sides instead of 10 gauge. I was amazed at how flimsy it was compared to my old, retired All Pro trailer. The trailer was replaced for another one with the proper thickness steel a week later after I drove to Ocala to swap them out.
2. The wimpy tires were not rated for carrying the GVWR of the trailer. Also they were too short resulting in the back of the trailer dragging on the ground when you dump it. I swapped the wheels and tires for the 235/85/16 wheels and tires I had on my old trailer.
3. Only one latch on the rear doors. When it snapped off 3 months after buying the trailer I almost hit another car with the swinging doors. I not only had it repaired but added a second latch for the left door and a third latch tying the two doors together at the top.
4. The trailer sides are 10 gauge but the rear doors are tin foil in comparison. Even the frame tubing is incredibly wimpy. When I got stuck at the dump and the guy on the loader pushed me out it crumpled the door frame like nothing.
5. Who in the world designed the stupid gate chains to hold the doors open? They deserve 10 lashes with a wet noodle.
6. Who in the world designed the stupid tongue jack placement? They also deserve 10 lashes with a wet noodle. See attached picture.
7. 10 months after purchase, I had a hub snap off the axle tube while hauling 9600 lbs of gravel (have the weight slip). The good news is I was a block from my house. Bad news is it almost hit my neighbor's car as it rolled past me. Again, service in Ocala was excellent. They replaced both axles for free after I drove the 100 miles up there on three wheels.

There are other issues but I believe this covers the major ones that I can think of tonight. Next week I am picking up a replacement trailer with a 20K lb rating, just so I can be sure it will dump when it is full (unlike my U-Dump). It will not have plastic caps on top of the bed rail and it will not have rubber bumpers between the bed and frame. It is designed to be worked on a real work site. My U-Dump will be sold for whatever I can get out of it. I'm sorry to write this email but hopefully the powers that be can gain some insight on improving the product line a little bit.

Regards,
Brian XXXXX
IMG_0178.JPG

Good idea.
If no-one complains, nothing will ever be done.

My first 2 TP chippers were great machines, but rusted like hell.

So when we were thinking of either redoing the rusted parts on the last one ( Since we rent it out, it has to look at least somewhat decent) I called the factory and complained.

They told me that so many customers had complained about it, that they had completely chainged their painting procedure.
Also that they would replace the rusted parts at half price.

I ended up buying a new chipper from them and so far , no rust.

Just got home with it. Over 2 days of rain on the 3 day trip, miserable driving conditions. Trailer is very solid and well built. It doesn't squeak and rattle going down the road like the other one. The old pickup didn't like pulling it, but I made it home.

Attachments

• IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0229.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 53
Chinese tires but they are 18 ply rated I think, 6005 lbs per tire single load. 237/75-17.5

Back