Duct Tape Treework

RopeArmour;454368I said:
avoid damaging the Xylem.

So your chainsaw is so precise as to cut the phloem but stop before cutting the xylem? I guess I drink to much coffee

dont do that on any of my Bonsai

It's a new one to me as well, but it's on here.:scratch: http://www.acerbonsai.co.uk/Articles/layers.html

Ring Bark Air Layering

"When I began in bonsai, I thought that it looked like a good way to kill the tree. It involves removing the bark for a length of about 1" to 2" all the way around the trunk or branch that is going to form the new plant (ring barking). The edges should be a clean cut and right down to the harder wood beneath. Any remaining soft sappy tissue, the cambium layer, must be scraped down to wood. Otherwise it provides a nutrient path and hinders rooting or calluses over again completely. The top of the cut area is then dusted with rooting hormone. Use a small paintbrush for this and try to get all of the bark/cambium edge covered."

books.jpg
Its all in my texts from school. Propogation Manual and Arboriculture.

Used my handsaw or secateurs, if you hit the wood, no biggie. It'll grow.

Mature clients from the UK gifted me old gardening book collection. It was in there too.

I lived, worked and studied on Botanical garden for 36 consecutive months.
If I could remeber 1/2 of what I learned, well I probabley wouldn't be busted concrete out of trees. Ah its all good fun anyways.
;)

Weird Bump....
I was driving down the road the other day out in the middle of nowhere. Low and behold, a leaning oak (or should I say the remainder of an oak), leaning out from under the lines had just been clearance pruned. And wrapped around the leader under the lines and screwed down was a black plastic sheet. Obviously preventing light to get to the leader so it would not sprout growth again under the line. Had to be Asplundh, Trees Inc, or one of the subs up here done it. I wish I had a camera in the van. This thread came to mind right up. Odd. Anyone else see this practice? It looked like the product was made for the tree business, it was that clean of an install.

was it black plastic? they do that all over the place here. in my slow mind, the first time i saw it i thought it was to keep squirrels from jumping on the lines:|:.

Looked like black plastic sheeting Jaime. Looked like it was pretty flexible, stiff enough to hold some shape and rubbery enough to be shaped a tad. First time I have ever seen it up here.

Back