Duct Tape Treework

No! Of the tape application, and the finished product. We would also like quarterly follow-up photos! The stuff ya gotta do in a real experiment!!!

Growth regulators can really do a number on the heartwood of the tree! At least in the photos I have seen!

Lots of googling around, but I couldn't find anyone saying that lack of sunlight inhibits sucker growth. The chemical treatment out there, it seems only temporary per application.

He doesn't cover the subject at great length, the picture I mentioned earlier speaks volumes. It shows the from the pith to about 50% of the xylem is discolored. The injection sites are seen like teeth on a sprocket to the outside of the necrotic xylem.

The micro injection course I took stated we had to keep a steady stream of water on the drill hole until we had the needle (pressurized vessel) installed. The cambium initiates CODIT to start that fast! Air is the key.

Another study states this:

The final blow out circumstance involves
premature withdrawal of the injector head before
all the material has been expelled into the tree.
The material under pressure that has not yet been
taken up may "bleed" back to the outside of the
hole as the head is removed. This may result in
cambial dieback adjacent to the hole and in trunk
discoloration. This is not to be confused with
weeping that can occur for a long period after injector
head removal.
Bark splitting is the end result of cambial
dieback resulting in a trunk canker. In this case,
there is a bark rupture in a vertical plane up and
down from the point of injection or blow out. There
has also been speculation that the injection hole
itself becomes a focal point (locus) for frost
cracks or fulcrum point for future frost cracks if
the injection hole has been plugged.

Dr. Shigo states in his book "A New Tree Biology" that holes should be shallow and smaller than 8mm in diameter. the caption under the picture I mentioned states "Treatments that cause serious internal injuries must be stopped. (A single injection treatment with a growth regulator.)"

One benefit of Cambistat is it is not injected into the tree. It's applied into the soil, via trench or soil injection.

Thats what I was gonna say Dave.

Sure it's a toxin, a planned one. Anything can be a toxin

So Willie, you'd poison a whole tree to keep one limb (that may be able to be reduced over time, rather than in one go) from initiating water sprouts?

If by poison you mean to properly use Cambistat;)

I would also poison a tree (imidicloprid etc.) to kill tiny little aphids of some other such critter

I hear it works ok on willow :D

duct-tape-tree.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Finally, back OT. And I'm 99 pur scent sure I won't be doing it. I was throwing out a hypothetical question. The lawyer will probably want the entire lead out, which I don't wanna do cuz that'll lion's tail the thing.

That sucks that your client won't let you do the right thing. To bad you can't tell him to let you take care of YOUR tree the way YOU see fit. If you did he would more than likely give you a "who farted" look. HAHA.

Back