Duct Tape Treework

Sucker Stopper RTU. I suspect that the duct tape would also have some inhibiting success due to light blockage and physical interference (might get roots with no future instead of epicormic shoots). So I'd try both the hormonal inhibitor and a wrap (I think paper trunk wrap would be preferable to the duct tape).

But of course. Make the problem go away. Trees don't matter.

This is why I don't ask any more. If the customer has an issue with a limb then I just cut the damn thing off (unless it's a live oak).

I save my tree care for my own trees and the people who want it. For the people who want limbs cut off or trees cut down, I'm very efficient at it and it pays my mortgage.

Yes, and our longest living trees in this area. I find it less objectionable to hack a limb off a 40 year old tree that is going to be dead in 20 years anyway, as opposed to whacking a limb off a 150 year old live oak that will outlive all of us unless somebody kills it with a chainsaw first.

I guess we will never find out now if the duct tape idea was a worthy one. I was waiting for the odds to be posted in Vegas.

I save my tree care for my own trees and the people who want it. For the people who want limbs cut off or trees cut down, I'm very efficient at it and it pays my mortgage.

:thumbup::thumbup:There trees and there money thats what my foreman says.

Keeping it in darkness will stop gowth. Sunlight, air and water. We know if air and water are removed the limb or tree will die.
removing light won't kill the plant part but the latent buds may differintiate into roots.
I say give it a chance with some heavy tarp in green or brown and paint lovely flowers or squirrels on it and call it Art. Watch the rot, bugs and crud!

Try the stem traces or ring barking. Seems to work fairly well on some species mb it will on Live Oak. Check this out again if want.
Trace and Reduce 005.jpg Trace and Reduce 004.jpg http://gypoclimber.com/showthread.php?14366-Trippy-Old-Silver-Maple-we-saved!

Technique is called ring barking or stem tracing.
Used to prevent the movement of hormones or to tie up energy.
Its like pruning but just with out the removal of parts.
The images shows old wounds and fresh wounds made with a secateurs or a handsaw.
The basis for preventing sprouts would be blocking the hormones that apply for inhibiting apical dominance.
Concentrations of hormones will stimulate or prevent adventitious growth depending on the concentration.
Remember apical dominance. Lead bud breaks releasing hormones to prevent competition from subordidants.

Sorry for the D-rail Butch but back to your idea.
The experiments that lead to the undrstantding of the role of hormones and tropisms used exactly what you are suggesting.
They placed an impermeable on a growing point and the side of growing points in experiments.

ok, I hear you. I would have thought the term bark ringing would be more common than ring barking but there ya go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've never seen anything like that before.

??????????????????????????????????????

What's the purpose of the chainsaw marks on the big leads? Is that where you are going to cut them when you remove the tree? :?

Just to slow growth. Dwarfing effect.
Technique is also used in maintaining Bonsai.
Slows movement of photosynthates to the roots.
I avoid damaging the Xylem. On vigorous trees if the xylem is damaged it is will heal over nicely.

If timed correctly you are able to promote growth in branchless areas of tree. Say in young tree training.

Alot of times it is done on the roots to slow water and nutrients. Use of this technique is to avoid root and crown pruning to maintain aesthetics.
Our study tours to NewYork and London we visited some the most interesting Bonsai collections in the world. they were kept under glass like jewels in full environmental control.
I say the most interesting ones were the mini forests and the ones that are old and decrepit with exposed wood.
It would be cool if we could all sell this service. Bonsai in the landscape. I guess we already do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you have any documentation to back up these claims? Very interesting, to say the least. I'd love to know more.

Back