Duct Tape Treework

I always thought those sprouts were simply dormant buds that got activated by the loss of a nearby branch. I always thought it was the cut that stimulated the growth of those sprouts, not sunlight. To prove this, think about what would happen if you didn't cut the branch - would the sprouts grow even though the bark is getting full sun? Of course not. It isn't the sunlight that causes the sprouts to grow, it's the removal of the branch nearby. And if it's the branch getting cut that stimulates the sprouts to grow, wouldn't they grow anyway in spite of a lack of sunlight? I think the only way the tape would stop the growth is by physically preventing the new branch from poking through, which might require an awful lot of tape.

Bounce has it! Sprouts usually are a response to the loss of part of the tree. It wouldn't be the light, as roots will sprout upwards in response to the main tree being effected. Shigo and others cover the whole issue well.

Right. Every limb has a dominant apical bud that emits hormones which regulate growth. Cut off that dominant apex and stuff starts sprouting because the hormones are no longer being supplied. The next most vigorous lateral will attempt to assume dominance but if it's back from the cut you still get unregulated growth at the internode and consequently, sprout city.

Trees don't need light for actual growing, they use it to make carbohydrates which supply energy for growth. I don't think removing light will suppress adventitious buds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, as soon as the tape wears off, say 2 or 3 seasons, the sprouts would appear?

"Look terrible" is only relative by degrees. I go by a place everyday where a row of conifers has been topped, and over over each stub is an upside down plastic bucket. The person who did it though, doesn't have such bad sense.....each one is a blue bucket....sky blue! If they were of varying colors, someone might have to shoot the guy.

Camo Duct Tape..

s7_416062_999_01

Any sealant would promote decay under it, especially on a new cut! This of course depends on the climate, and tree species! Gradual reduction of large limbs is preferential to taking the whole thing at once! Better yet, management while the tree is small is the best thing you can do for any tree. IMO

We have to educate tree owners, I feel it the right thing to do. It will pay you dividends in the long run. Has been my experience. But I'm weird!!!!

I think this would be a great documented experiment. Gorilla tape tape will hold up vertical in the sun for 4 years here in fl it is wrapped on my old sprinkler system, just starting to dis-color at the edges.

There is something called 'nuclear grade' duct tape, if you google it. Highly durable for both interior and exterior. They actually say that it is recommended for use in nuclear reactor facilities, but I don't think it has anything to do with the brain in the government who suggested that you could use duct tape to seal a door to help shield yourself from a nuclear blast.

I did a live oak mistletoe job with the camo once because the HO did not want anyone to see it as the tree was right on a road. Used it to hold tar paper over the affected area. Going on second year. Can't hardly see it and it seems effective on the mistletoe. I have switched to Brian's method with the wound sealer. I will probably have to redo the oak as the wind is wreaking havoc with some of the paper. HO is all good with another visit as I warned her I might be every couple of years. Won't take long to fix it though. :)
It might work on sprouts, but I would not hold my breath.

I would wager that Butches experiment will stop sucker growth underneath for as long the light is kept out, any takers:drink:

I know if you wrap a scar on a tree trunk with a little sphagnum and black plastic, you can get some great roots started. Part of that undifferentiated meristematic tissue that develops in wound wood situations I think.
I don't think the tape will stop the sprouts from forming by covering them, but I think it will stunt them if it is left on long enough.
I have also heard it said that if you just rip the new sprouts out, when very young, the resulting wound is very small and you are removing them along a natural CODIT zone (ie, branch attachments) and therefore not disrupting the flow of enzymes from terminal buds that may be keeping others from opening. This requires a couple of followups, but would eliminate the bad looks of the tape, and the "sealing" effects of the various coatings which may hold in moisture and heat, aiding fungal development.

technique in Bonsai..."air layering". The seal I use looks like toothpaste, and dries like a flexy wax like thingy.....falls off when wound heals. Prevents the wood from drying out...

duct tape? *** When does this experiment begin

Last edited by a moderator:
I know if you wrap a scar on a tree trunk with a little sphagnum and black plastic, you can get some great roots started. Part of that undifferentiated meristematic tissue that develops in wound wood situations I think.
I don't think the tape will stop the sprouts from forming by covering them, but I think it will stunt them if it is left on long enough.
I have also heard it said that if you just rip the new sprouts out, when very young, the resulting wound is very small and you are removing them along a natural CODIT zone (ie, branch attachments) and therefore not disrupting the flow of enzymes from terminal buds that may be keeping others from opening. This requires a couple of followups, but would eliminate the bad looks of the tape, and the "sealing" effects of the various coatings which may hold in moisture and heat, aiding fungal development.

Excellent post, thanks.

I think it will stunt them if it is left on long enough.

That's all I'm attempting to do, just slow down future growth so the customer/lawsuit lawyer will be proven wrong. He says the suckers will be limbs on his roof in a couple years. I'm trying to tell him it merely needs to be cut proper. What's there now is stubby, and not cut back to the branch collar.

I'll be working on (if all goes as planned) the tree monday, John.

It's not like you'd think. It wouldn't be so noticable. Plus, it's around on the side of his house.

Are there other limbs that will grow into the open place where sun presents itself, even if its not the suckering growth.

Sounds like he wants a lifetime fix to a living organism.

I'll be interested to know what happens.

Pics please.

Back