Double bit axe handle question

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually they still are .If I'm not mistaken though in some high school leagues they allow aluminum bats .Unlless things have changed the National and American leagues still mandate the use of the traditional wooden bats ,most of which are made by Louisville slugger in Ky .

Somehing just seems to be missing though when you hear that "bonk" of the baseball being hit by aluminum rather than that nice sharp crack of the ash hitting the horse hide .:)

The high schools here have been using alunimum bats for a long time, college too. The only ones still using wooden bats are the pros and the local single A team and the wooden bat leagues in the northeast.

No matter what type of tool handle it is,wood ,fiberglass whatever it must perform several functions .It must be able to transmit the potential energy to kinetic with a striking tool and also absorb the shock of this transmission of energy .

It's pretty hard to find much of anything that will perform all this much better than good old hard hickory . I know that ash for example will send those reverberations right back at you when the temp is cold .Hornbeam [iron wood ] would weigh a ton and is nearly impossible to work once it dries out .Oak wouldn't work very well ,splinters among other things .Hard maple might . Pecan,being a second cousin to hickory might also work .

The high schools said that the change was economic as aluninum bats never break.

I live accross the river from a baseball pitch/field/course/diamond/thingy and here the 'dink' of aluminium (note pronounciation) alot more than the 'thud' of hickory. I thought aluminium bats were not favoured because of the possibility of lightning strikes.

If you get struck by lightning while swinging a baseball bat, then that's just God's way of saying "You're not doing it right".
:|:

Baseball/softball isn't played in inclement weather, so lightning shouldn't be a problem.

I dont really like double bitted axes. One bounced on me once and almost nailed my forehead.

Having said that, I have one and made a leather holder for it.

Frans is that single bit axe the one that Baileys sells ??

I don't have a clue how they came up with white ash for ball bats but it's just always been that way since I can remember . Oh,by the way ,in high school my favorite stick was a 36" Babe Ruth special ,good bat . Had we been able to use longer I 'd have grabbed another 2 inchs .

I don't have a clue how they came up with white ash for ball bats but it's just always been that way since I can remember . Oh,by the way ,in high school my favorite stick was a 36" Babe Ruth special ,good bat . Had we been able to use longer I 'd have grabbed another 2 inchs .

I had my best luck with a Carl Yastrzemski.

Back