Questions Regarding Tenex-TEC

lxskllr

Treehouser
There's Tenex, and there's Tenex-TwoEndCarrier. What is a "carrier", and if it's a strand, how can it not have two ends? I don't have my rigging stuff here, but remembering, and seeing it mentioned in a video, it has a flat side and a round side. How is it braided to accomplish that? Going by memory, it's uniformly braided, but I could be misremembering.

ok so, TEC is made of 24 strands braided like 12 strand, 2 parallel strands make a " carrier"
the flat and round side just come from the roll its shipped on, you can roll it in your hands and make it round

Tenex TEC
1676072057383.png
Tenex
1676072013186.png

1/2" tenex has an 11,300# MBS
Tenex tec is 11,800
otherwise the same rope and handled/spliced the same
I see the single carrier used often for rigging prusiks and never really slings, I wonder why

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Samsons product page says it's made to deform to better cover objects, which would be good in a sling scenario. I've never seen/held regular Tenex to make a comparison.

Samsons product page says it's made to deform to better cover objects, which would be good in a sling scenario. I've never seen/held regular Tenex to make a comparison.

I can imagine how doubling the strands up like they do makes it softer and deforms easier
ive worked a little with amsteel 12 strand hollow braid and it is fairly "hard" compared to tenex tec although I havent dealt with them in the same sizes, and I believe the amsteel to have been a knockoff (winch on a truck we used to own, never worked)
ive gotta get pics, I had a little rig and ring I made up a while back that ive slowly been robbing rings from the past few weeks for other projects, now ive got a 5/8" tenex tec prusik for my 3/4" line, no idea when I will ever need it but ive got it now

The single strands have to go over a full diameter. Double what the twin strands have to, which leads to less bend in each strand, adding strength.

Back