Don't laugh.

Dave, DTW, has had a couple of them, he swears by them, send him a PM and ask what milleage he gets from his.

I heard about the 65 mpg from the dealer. So, it may be a little skewed. My 2006 sedan does get 50 mpg highway easy on the new ultra-low sulfur diesel. It used to get better than that before they changed the fuel, but I think it's great that they cleaned up diesel. I'm definitely willing to lose 4-5 mpg for cleaner fuel.

Thanks.

Not to be negative about it, but how do you stand to drive a car that can't get out of it's own way...0-60 times for your model are measured in days, right?
:)

At least the 2009 models have a significant hp bump over the earlier ones.

Hey Burnham, don't be so horsepower fixated.
It takes more than fast acceleration to make a great car.
I drove a Citroen Mehari for 15 years. I have owned 4 of them, wonderful cars for an old hippie.
They have a 600 cc engine putting out about 35 HP. Laughable by your standards, but it would go anywhere in the woods.
My South African partner loved it, he said it was the perfect car for Africa. If you got it stuck, 4 guys could carry it out of there.
Of course, if you wanted to pass someone, you had to mark it in your calender:D

Attachments

• mehari.jpg
    mehari.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 50
Hey Burnham, don't be so horsepower fixated.
It takes more than fast acceleration to make a great car.
I drove a Citroen Mehari for 15 years. I have owned 4 of them, wonderful cars for an old hippie.
They have a 600 cc engine putting out about 35 HP. Laughable by your standards, but it would go anywhere in the woods.
My South African partner loved it, he said it was the perfect car for Africa. If you got it stuck, 4 guys could carry it out of there.
Of course, if you wanted to pass someone, you had to mark it in your calender:D

Good advice about hp fixation, Stig.

On the other hand, I want an automobile that at least offers average ability to merge on a short freeway ramp safely and climb a long grade without dropping under the average speed the rest of traffic is traveling.

The earlier versions of the VW TDI only put out 100 hp, with 0-60 speeds over 12 seconds. Not up to my needs/desires, such as they are. The 2009 models will have 140 hp along with improved torque too...that's likely enough to get the job done, without excessive hp numbers.

Heck Burnham, the Mehari can climb a long grade without dropping under the average speed of the rest of the traffic!!!

As long as it can get a good long run at that grade, that is:D

Today, when I drive my 5 cylinder, turbocharged VW; I still catch myself speeding up before a hill.

I loved those cars though. I could fix everything about them myself, and in the summer, I'd take the top off so the dogs could stick their heads into the wind and get slobber all over everything.
Man, those were the days.

Correct, and death traps...on several levels besides the low hp.

So is the Mehari: Nothing but plastic over a flimsy metal frame.

What is wrong with you guys, do you want to live forever?

I think that was originally said by a british ( american?) master sergent trying to get his people to leave the trench and join an attack in WW1.

I rode a motorcycle for many years, summer and winter before getting a Mehari. I put a sidecar on it in winter to keep it upright on icy roads. The Mehari seemed like luxury in coparison. I mean, it even had a roof to keep the rain out:D

The motorcykle was a 1938 Danish buildt Nimbus. 750 cc, 4 cylinders in line. I sold it to a collector in Malibu Beach in 1993.

I'm not REALLY trying to derail this thread, by the way. It just seems that way:/:

Attachments

• nimbus.jpg
    nimbus.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
So is the Mehari: Nothing but plastic over a flimsy metal frame.

What is wrong with you guys, do you want to live forever?

I think that was originally said by a british ( american?) master sergent trying to get his people to leave the trench and join an attack in WW1.

I rode a motorcycle for many years, summer and winter before getting a Mehari. I put a sidecar on it in winter to keep it upright on icy roads. The Mehari seemed like luxury in coparison. I mean, it even had a roof to keep the rain out:D

The motorcykle was a 1938 Danish buildt Nimbus. 750 cc, 4 cylinders in line. I sold it to a collector in Malibu Beach in 1993.

I'm not REALLY trying to derail this thread, by the way. It just seems that way:/:

:lol:

Thanks.

Not to be negative about it, but how do you stand to drive a car that can't get out of it's own way...0-60 times for your model are measured in days, right?

At least the 2009 models have a significant hp bump over the earlier ones.

My 2006 has a 1.8L, 125 hp, which seems plenty fast to me. It's the first car I've owned where you can hit the gas traveling at 60-70 mph, and it actually pushes you back into your seat a little. Great highway driving car, super acceleration (once you get out of first gear. It's almost like they put a Grannie gear in), great city driving car. From a dead stop it feels more like a small truck, and you can definitely tell you're driving a diesel.

You should test one out Burnham! I bet you'll like it. :P

...and that is a SWEET bike Stig!

Cute, and I have enjoyed driving a friend's turbo model, but it doesn't have the makings for a road trip car, and the Jetta Sportwagon tdi would handle that duty in outstanding manner.

Cute, and I have enjoyed driving a friend's turbo model, but it doesn't have the makings for a road trip car, and the Jetta Sportwagon tdi would handle that duty in outstanding manner.

I guess that answers that...

WWBD = What Would Burham Drive?

It's the first car I've owned where you can hit the gas traveling at 60-70 mph, and it actually pushes you back into your seat a little.

I remember my Z-28 when I was doing 60mph or so, if it was a little bit slick out (as in anything other than perfect;y dry pavement), if you punched it, the back end would get loose and you would have to wrestle the bad boy back to control if you could. I HATE POSI trac.

Paul, sounds like your problem wasn't the positrac, but cheap tires. The POS Goodyear Wranglers that were on my pickup when I bought it were the same way, you could break traction any time, any place. With the Michelins on there now you really have to want to break traction, even in the rain.

B. I had Riken Radials on the car at the time, after a couple of 180's on the freeway when I didnt want to do them, I got new tires on all 4. The problem ended up being too much power and not enough experience. :)
a hyped up 80 Z-28 and a two years experience driver didnt add up to 'good traction' . The four speed hurst and heavy ass clutch with Posi trac didnt do much too help.
Wish I never sold that beast, for what I paid and what I sold it for, she would have been a bargain to keep. :(

i remember planning ahead in my toyota. when i knew a passing lane was ahead id drop back, time it right and speed up, then if there was a car coming id slow down again and wait for the next opportunity

I think this thread was going on while my computer was down. It has been pretty entertaining. Good luck with the new car. Better get us some pics with the family loaded up in it.
Edit: snicker

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its really not THAT bad....

Attachments

• IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1895.JPG
    IMG_1895.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG