Design a mini pulley setup for cabling....

NickfromWI

King of Splices
We use Rigguy wire stops. All necessary tools fit in a small fanny pack thing. Stylish- I know.

The total list of supplies are:

Rigguy hexes, cones, and caps
Knipex cobalt mini wire cutters
Pliers
*Whoopie sling
*Carabiner
*Ratchet strap on 1" webbing
*Another carabiner
*Cable grip

I thinks that's it.

All those asterisked items are what I'm looking to upgrade. The current system to tension the cable is heavy, bulky, and doesn't let me take up enough tension as I'd like sometimes.

So I'm looking for better options.

The system has to fit in the same size gear bag. If it was less weight that would be sweet. My priority is improved function.

So here's what I'm thinking right now....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378662758.283410.jpg

So what are you guys using?
Is that a 4:1 system I put together? Or 5:1? Or 3?

I'm thinking of setting it up with 5/16 or 3/8" line.

I've been looking at sail hardware. I like Harken. Here's a piece made by ronstan that would fit perfectly in the left side...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378663500.698271.jpg

I could open up that bow shackle at the rope and affix it directly to the cable grip we use.

Lemme go take a pic of our current setup....

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay. A couple pics...

Black pouch has all the tools. In the red pouch are the pieces for the 3 different size rigguy we install. Before heading up the tree you open the red pouch, grab the pieces you need, put them into the front zippered pocket on the black bag.

Scrench for size comparison

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378664495.535419.jpg

The middle zipper pocket holds the two tools needed for installation

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378664545.168312.jpg

Then here's the ratchet setup:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378664571.091574.jpg

Sling + biners + webbing + ratchet = 2.0 pounds
Cable grip = 2.5 pounds
Total: 4.5 pounds

I plan on switching the yellow whoopie with a webbing daisy chain like this one for less weight, bulk and fuss...

Daisy-Chain---nylon.jpg

The cable grip I feel kinda stuck with right now. I've not found a hitch that will grab the 1/4" cable we sometimes use.

The ratchet is pretty solid. It works. It was built for slackline installation. It's meant to take some abuse. But it's limited. It will only fit about a foot of webbing on the reel before it's maxed out. This is where I think a new system will dramatically improve end results.

love
nick

You use a preform (2ounces?)to pull the cable. Wrap it half way both ways. You can make an impressively small ma system with the tiny x rigging rings. With some small cord, neat splices and some creativity you could cut major weight.

Body weight is ideal- but I have to be ready for those times when the tie in points are not in our favor.

Just to clarify- you use these...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378668179.444021.jpg

...as a temporary grip on the cable while you install the permanent hardware?

I'd need to carry a few to accommodate the 3 sizes of cable we install- but that wouldn't be a prob.

I haven't installed one of those in a decade- but I seem to recall them being super long. Am I right?

They work after a bunch of installs and being taken on and off and on and off???

It weighs a lot less than 2.5 pounds, that's for sure!!

love
nick

../You can make an impressively small ma system with the tiny x rigging rings...

Those small x rings still accommodate 1/2 line/ which means they are bigger than I want/need. But 4 of them would only be $60 and could be strung in line to put together a neat little system.

I'm gonna look more closely at the premade pulley systems that were built for this, but the x-ring option had merit. (ie- to parts to break!)

Actually, I could probably get the smaller rings from Antal and make a system than was designed with 5/16" components through and through....

love
nick

We use the grcs and a block or two. We have a dedicated line that has a spliced eye and a Chicago grip hooked up with a steel carabiner. Terminate one end of the cable with a rig guy, set tension, terminate the other end, realease tension and your done.

We use the grcs and a block or two.

Oh... Lemme go run out and get one :p

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378684258.540762.jpg

Hahaha :)

We shall have one soon enough, but so far I have it down to a one man operation and Id like to keep it that way for when it's needed.

love
nick

Nick,

We never use our GRCS to cable. While it might be the most capable option, I dont feel its necessary in most cases. When body weight/redirects isnt enough we use mechanical advantage or a come-a-long.

>terminate one side of cable
>run cable to other side
>put loop runner on branch
>attach come-a-long or MA system to sling
>attach other end of pull system to a preform wrap somewhere on the cable far enough away that you get necessary travel
>crank that sucka
>over tighten a bit
>terminate other end
>release pulling system
>remove preform and sling
>see ya later

To answer your question before, yes that is a preform (invented by Davey Tree and Preformed Products donchaknow). You might need 3 sizes (red black yellow) for the 3 common EHS cable sizes. You could cut them shorter and tape the ends up. I normally only take 3-4 wraps on one side first, then wrap up 3 or 4 on the other. If you do cut them, dont cut them to the length of the 3 or 4 wraps, leave em a bit longer so you dont have to 'finish' the wrap which would make em harder to get off.

As long as you dont bend em up they should last quite a few installations. Generally speaking a used pre wrap/preform is no good, they split apart and just dont work. Since these arent finished, and arent left outside for months you should be ok. Buy 2 of each size and you will be good for a year. I think some black tape on the ends, so the strands dont seperate will extend the life of them dramatically.

Regarding the pulling system you could make up a snazzy system with some small amsteel or tenex and those small XRRs.
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=3506
They are deceivingly small.

Ya know I am not sure. I think that if I can come up with some sort of small grab that you could put on the strand that comes out of the cone and suck up the last little bit of slack in the cable. Or maybe it would be strong enough to tension the cable enough without having to "pull" the two stems together. I envision a standard J shaped crowbar with a small foot plate on the heel for up against the tree, and the grab would be on the short end of the J. IDK I need to think about it some more and get tinkering when I have some free time.

Nick, some basic rules of MA.
Count the number of sheaves in a simple system and add 1, that equals your MA.
If the last sheave is on the load, it gives you advantage and it is always odd.
If the last sheave in a system is on the anchor it is only a change of direction, no MA, and it is even.
A simple system stacked on another simple system is compound. You multiply the systems to get your MA, ex. a 3:1 on a 3:1 equals a 9:1
Like systems put on one another are piggyback compounds.

I've read all this before- but it leaves me with some questions:

In the act of cabling? The stem is the anchor and the cable grip is the load.

If you flip a system around the MA changes or what you're calling the anchor and load change?

love
nick

if your body is braced on the trunk and you are pulling on the cable grip, then the trunk is the anchor and the grip is the load. if you are attached to the cable and you are pulling the trunk to you then anchor/load would swap. i have seen some very small fiddle block setups. what about systems geared towards game hunters?

Not for nothing, but this block is only a few dollars more that 2 of the small x rings and would offer WAY more MA than a x-ring system would.

Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 8.11.15 PM.png

Here's the link: http://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?id=39799&taxid=415

It's for 5/16" line (which is the size I want), weighs less than an ounce and costs $40.

And you're right- the cable grip we have is HUGE. I got it for free :) (there were some guys at our office repairing lines. they left a gear bag hooked to the telephone pole when they left. few weeks later I snagged it, called the power company and they said, " It's not worth it to send someone out to get the stuff. So that no one gets hurt, please discard it." Dont worry, power company..I'll discard it!" :/: )

Youre right. It's massive and really is where we can shave a lot of weight in our system. If only I could find a reliable prussik that would do the trick...

...what about systems geared towards game hunters?

Not a bad idea. I'll look at a few systems. Though I'll tell you that I'd rather pay a little more for something to get it from a reputable manufacturer known for making things that can handle the elements. I'm sure that amazon system works, but was designed knowing it would be used just a few times per year, vs. a sailboat setup that was designed for life at sea.

Back