Death Of a High Climber

chris_girard

Treehouser
I was reading in Log Trucker magazine this week that Gordy Scott, age 74 died on Fri Feb 17 in Acme, Washington after a long battle with cancer.

It's a really good article and he sounds like he was one hell of a climber and logger. Don't know if any of you guys here knew him?

I was at the Redwood Regional Logging conference last Saturday and talked to Kevin Core who was vending the Logger's World boot there.

I picked up a couple of issues of LW from Kevin and just now found the article. Mr. Scott lived a life full of wonderful and practical experiences.

The pic of him in the tree,, his gear was classic northwest high climber. The wear parts of his flip line shows patches of pitch build up , the rope is worn thin. The tail of the flipline, less used, is almost twice as thick. He had to be using that flipline for a long time to get like that. Good thing they were steel core.

Those old timers seldom threw anything away. They would repair it and keep using it. My old friend George Ferriera was 92 when he died and he still had his original flipline and spurs.

It was another world. I'm glad I got to meet some of those guys before they passed away.

George Terry from Rock Port is a legendary high climber around these parts today. He passed away some 20 years ago. At his place in Rock Port he run a junk shop full of rotted leather saddles, rusty D rings, decayed steel core manila fliplines. The straps on the spurs where all worn so thin and were cracked. He tried to sell me some of that junk like a used car salesman. And on top of it I have to say, George Terry was the dirtiest old man I had ever meet.

His tales of women and high climbing would leave you to wonder.

OMG, what a Classic post by Gerry!!!

Truly cool and interesting.

"Those old timers seldom threw anything away." Gotta love it

I know exactly what you are talking about, Gerry, old classics from a former age. I met a one of the old chair makers in Great Britain, from a time when they worked in shops with burlap sacks over the windows to eliminate "idle gazing". I visited him at his cottage where he lived with his daughter. His shed out back was a treasure trove of tools. It was an immensely enjoyable afternoon and he gave me a tool, which I had him sign. Definitely of a different time period and there were stories. Lots of hard work and the pubs, and whatever came in-between.

I gotta say, if you're a climber and you live to be an old climber, you musta be doing it right! RIP, old climbing dudes!!!

I have met Gordy a couple of times. He was very well known here where I live in Deming, Wa. He helped start the Deming Logging Show back in the day. Very well respected logger and high climber.

Thanks for the link. Turns out I had read that article, but Gerry's detailed post made it come alive. Thanks again!