dealing with rising diesel cost

Anyone have any biodiesel producers in your area? If so, how do biodiesel (B100) prices compare to standard diesel?

Bummer. I remember before I left Hawaii the l was told that the local biodiesel producer was actually cheaper...

We're all getting the shaft diesel is more than gas here too. Fuel companies are sticking it to everyone and the government isn't going to protect us because they're getting a giant windfall it's just like another way to tax us. Hmm let's see should we stop the guys who are lining our pockets with campaign contributions and what not from making billions when as they raise prices it makes us more in taxes. That's a win win for all the scumbag politicians and big business. We're all screwed!

The fine for off road in a commercial truck is like 15 or 25K at the Fed level.

No gray area Andy, if you are commercial you need to pay all state and Fed road tax on bio. Even Red has energy tax on it.

Rumination, the only Bio I can find here is 2% and it is 5 to 10 cents more.

Anyone have any biodiesel producers in your area? If so, how do biodiesel (B100) prices compare to standard diesel?

way higher here, and the government subsidizes it. ill try and check tommorow, theres one place in the valley that i know of.

as far as the dye and even home brew in highway vehicles, its all tax evasion, they just havent figured out how to enforce the home brew stuff

The fine for running red diesel is $10K plus $100 per gal. of tank capacity. So a pickup with a 35 gal. tank would pay $13500. A commercial vehicle with a 100 gal. tank would pay $20K. When you consider that the difference between off road and road diesel is 65 cents per gal in Hawaii, $13500 is the cost difference for buying 20,769.23 gals of fuel. That's enough fuel for me to drive about 17 years.

For those that want to run off road fuel, you do the math with your own driving and cost differential to see if it is worth the risk of getting caught.

I'm going to calculate the increase, then average out my invoices from last year, and come up with a fare amount. I'm not out to make a profit, I just need to cover this gas gone wild increase. The market will except only so much of an increase, after that they will go to the cheaper outfits.

What's your take on this, sound fare?

I am with you on the not trying to make a profit, just want to cover the increase. I have not come up with a formula yet, but a flat rate per area might work, like so much to go to Key West, so much to go to Islamorada and nothing to stay in Marathon. Key Largo, forgetaboutit, big bucks. :lol:

Be carefull driving your newer diesel down to mexico or baja. Fuel sold there is the older sulphur fuel

All the ready mix concrete companies here have charged for deliveries for years. Luckily for me, the biggest one is based in Kailua [where I live], so all the other companies match there delivery rate $45. To go out to the North Shore of the island, $280. This was the middle of last year. I don't know what the current rate is. Matson just raised their fuel surcharge 33.75%.

Yes, we ae all SCREWED for sure!!!!

Sorry, the "Gray area" I was reffering to was the homebrew stuff, like Steve was thinking of making. I should have been more specific.

I am with you on the not trying to make a profit, just want to cover the increase. I have not come up with a formula yet, but a flat rate per area might work, like so much to go to Key West, so much to go to Islamorada and nothing to stay in Marathon. Key Largo, forgetaboutit, big bucks. :lol:

Good idea. I've recieved no neg. comments from clients i've spook to about an increase so far. Most respond with, "everyone else has raised prices, you should too".

For the record Henry Ford's first engines were designed to run on alkie but gasoline was cheaper. Actually a Model A will run on kerosine if you first get it started on gas . Rudolph Diesel used powdered coal in his early endeavers until he blew one apart nearly killing some people.

I don't know if this applies but often "Flying J " has discount prices available for fleet sales. Fact is I got the discount when I ferried the motor home back from central Fla two years ago .It might be worth checking into .What the heck,a couple of hundred a year is a lot better in your pocket than in the coffers of some oil company .;)

Al, it was my understanding when the model A came out Henry had designed it to run on Hemp oil, as he was big proponent of Hemp products as a great cash crop?
Gasoline was, at the time, nothing more than a waste by-product from the refienment of oils that they didn't really have a use for at the time?
Does this sound right or am I missing something?

Small towns do have advantages. I burn perhaps 30 gallons of fuel per week average-10 in the chip truck, 10 in the chipper and 10 in the pick ups. Of course several removal jobs in one week can double the usage in the chipper and an out of town trip wreaks havoc with the P-up usage. I'm just adding $25 per estimated hour to every job 'cause I underbid everything and that will put me close to actually earning something over expenses.:|:

Ahh, I love diesel.

15 gallon tank.

Filled up in Ft. Worth, drove to Oklahoma City, then back down to Austin without filling up.

Gallons: 15
Miles: 605
:)

Al, it was my understanding when the model A came out Henry had designed it to run on Hemp oil, as he was big proponent of Hemp products as a great cash crop?
Gasoline was, at the time, nothing more than a waste by-product from the refienment of oils that they didn't really have a use for at the time?
Does this sound right or am I missing something?
Well there were two model "A" 's. The first was early on prior to the model T ,maybe 1905 or so then came the model B then T and finally the more we known A.

Henry,being Henry most likely tried every thing from Alkie to tupintine. He was just a tad bit eccentric as were a lot of the early pioneers in this then new invention .

Mr. Diesel tried about everything too. After the experiment gone wrong with the coal dust he used a bunch of alternate fuels, peanut oil being one of them. Because of the nature of a compression ignition engine they will burn just about any thing you can get through the injectors that will ignite. If you could figure out how to use sawdust you would have something.Of course the price of charcoal briqutes would go up because sawdust is what they are made of.

Now the hemp is another story. During the years of WW1 they planted acres of it to grow fiber for moring lines for naval warships and I guess the stuff just then grew wild in nature.
I don't know why the big deal it is a weed ya know.;)

Ahh, I love diesel.

15 gallon tank.

Filled up in Ft. Worth, drove to Oklahoma City, then back down to Austin without filling up.

Gallons: 15
Miles: 605
:)

That's 40.3mpg, not shabby in the slightest.

My gas guzzler would only get 37-38mpg @ 75-80mph on fuel that (locally) costs 18% less than diesel.

Comperatively that'd be 43.66mpg from the diesel to break even in fuel costs per mile. My cheaper vehicle burning cheaper fuel while requiring less maintenance and greater fuel availability doesn't leave me wanting for much for a 2 person road tripping vehicle or for the 25 mile drive to school I take 4 times a week.

That's in a Honda Civic, what vehicle were you in Nate? If I could get a Chevy 4wd to get that milage I'd be all over it like a big girl at the buffet.

yesterday, the price of unleaded went from 3.09 to 2.99 and diesel went from 3.79 to 3.89.

So I ask...........What the Fock??!!??

Last edited by a moderator:
Paid £1.13 per litre here today. That's $2.29. That's an increase of £0.14 since mid december. It's making our lives difficult but thankfully, we don't have to do the miles many of you in the US do.

Back