dealing with rising diesel cost

Squishy, wanna buy some Marvel Mystery oil? Only $28.95 per quart, quaranteed to fix what ails ya!
:lol:

Actually, it's $3.99 a quart, and I'd do anything to boost the life of my engine & MPG performance.
I shoulda been born a squirrel.
Then I'd inherently know the diff & could chatter at my lowers.
Gosh, to be a squirrel.
Then, we'd all know that women are evil bitches and the world would be better off without them.
Too bad I'm not lesbian. Then, Squirrel could hate me double.

T, I don't think there was any hate in this-just some razzing. MMO in fuel IS supposed to clean injectors but in the oil it just thins it out.

You're too kind, Justin.
I'm so worn out on Skwerl's "He-Man-Woman-Haters" crap that I'm just about over it.
I have spent my time & energy here for over four years. Drunk, sorry, or sober, I have tried my level best to be civil. I just do not get it with people who proclaim to be "reconstructed" when all they are is reconstituted fucks.
Join the human race and be FORGIVING.
You will find your life fulfilled.

To tell the truth I really think Marvel mystery oil is nothing but auto tranny fluid. The stuff is a half-fast penetrating oil .

The stuff has been around every since I can remember.It works to desludge an engine,to a point but so will tranny fluid .It nor anything else is the magic cure all for an ailing engine .

All this stuff works but not how they claim it to ,STP, Wynns , Caseite,the list goes on and on.

Actually the best cure for a sludged engine is just change the oil more frequently.Over time most of that gunk gets washed out .

On an auto tranny,change the fluid and filter on a timely bassis because those little gems will not heal themselves once they go bad .

Teresa,
In my opinion most of the additives for gas engines are not worth the money.
I have years of working on cars and trucks and I have learned that to get the longest service life from your car,
Maintenance is key.
Do your oil changes on time. and always change your filters (fuel filter also)
Keep your car tuned properly
Avoid sudden acceleration & hard braking
Let your car warm up before driving
keep your air pressure correct in all 4 tires
Swap out/flush your coolant & use distilled water annually
Follow manufacturers service intervals.

I know these things seem simple but you would be surprised at how much doing these things will extend the life of your car.
99% of folks with problems dont do these things.

Much to the delight of car mechanics.

Buy your gas from a station which does alot of business. That way the tanks are being flushed out and you will avoid buying sediment.

The gasoline sold has what is needed in it to run your car. If not, the car manufacturers would have trouble with their warrenties.

'Bout the only time I use additives is when their is a problem that I dont want to fix. Like a leaky power steering pump, headgasket, radiator, etc. Only then will I dump in some additive

Wait, I do use an additives in very paticular situations like in the radiator water which is essentially a surfactant or I fill the fuel filter with an additive before installing it. But that is for diesels.

Teresa, I hope this helps you. I personally hate the feeling of trying to get some information from someone and have them blow me off. Especially when they are supposed to be a friend/forum buddy.

Actually the best cure for a sludged engine is just change the oil more frequently.Over time most of that gunk gets washed out .

I agree Al. Detergent oils can start leaks by cleaning out the gunk blocking worn gaskets. Best to just change stuff when required.

Also I avoid synthetic oil in older engines. They always seem to 'find' leaks. I just stick with a non-recycled non-detergent quality oil. Usually I just dump in 20/50 in older engines and just leave it at that.

Two types of engines,those that leak and those that will.

The only non leaker I have is a 1942 D4 Cat.It is put together with Garlock gaskets and number one Permatex,about like welding everything on .Of course the brand new Mercury doesn't leak----yet .It will in time ,bet on it .

I used MMO for years in machine shops, it's a great air tool lubricant, and good for fitting parts together when you don't want the grease of Lubriplate on the parts. But not in my engines!

T: Everything Frans said to a T!! I do not use synthetics in older cars that have not been running it as they WILL start to leak. STP is CRAP!! It settles at the bottom and plugs stuff up!!
I do use Lucas and believe it helps (I cannot prove it though), and can verify Valvoline Max life oil will improve gas millage in older cars. I have gone from 12mpg to 13mpg in a Bronco by just changing the oil. And it doesn't cost any more than regular oil, unlike synthetics. The Lucas products are not cheap but can be had at O'Riellys, it may or may not help.
I have a buddy that swears by Slick50, and another that swears by Seafoam, in high mileage motors. I can't say either way, and they can't back that claim, so?
Not much help I know, but as Frans says, it's all about maintaining you're engine and drive train, even changing the tranny fluid can gain mileage, it carries less heat and works more efficiently. Change the oil in the rear end to synthetic, less friction, bu it's expensive, so is the gain going to be worth the initial cost? And will there even be a gain?
My truck, with under 30k on it, I am switching EVERYTHING over to synthetic slowly, I figure I am going to put at least 100k on it in the time I own it, so ANY gain will be seen over that time period, and the cost will be effective.
I can't say if thats a good idea for you or not, you will have to think about that you're self.

Just for information , heat build up is a destroyer of auto trannys .You get to pulling heavy loads or running hills with the pedal to the medal,bet on a short life.

Proper maintanence,maybe 150-200 thou if you are lucky .Flog hell out of it,maybe 75 .It's a lot cheaper to change oil than replace trannys in the long run .

I drive a 1996 with 186k on it. I bought it for $1,000.
I miss Chucky !!! He'd be in my corner on driving a vehicle into the ground (ever-so-gently !) !
I wouldn't own a new truck if you gave it to me. PLPD insurance is quite enough, thank you.

I miss Chucky !!! He'd be in my corner on driving a vehicle into the ground (ever-so-gently !) !
I wouldn't own a new truck if you gave it to me. PLPD insurance is quite enough, thank you.

Yer a gal after my own heart, TC!

I see so many guys buying these brand new trucks for incredible amounts of money, and then making payments for years on it.

For what?

My old rigs do just fine to get me around, at a fraction of the cost

Yer a gal after my own heart, TC! :big-love:

I see so many guys buying these brand new trucks for incredible amounts of money, and then making payments for years on it.

For what?

My old rigs do just fine to get me around, at a fraction of the cost

got a brand old one:D maybe in a year or 2 ill get something nice

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 7
I'm thinking of getting a chip truck. Is a 1-ton adequate? My chipper is a Vermeer 1250, weighs 7500 lbs.

Steve, Yeah-I think a 1 ton is ADEQUATE. In fact I'm thinking of trying to swap my "3 Ton" for a 1 ton. My firewood guy runs an extended frame/12 foot dump bed on a 1 ton. He puts over 20,000 pounds on that thing( It does have a beefed up suspension). That is excessive but 5000-6000 lb loads don't stress a 1 tom much.

mine has been through the ringer and still ticking. 5-6000 pound loads all the time. ive grossed 14500 and towed my 7000 pound chipper. not ideal but it works

Stumper you firewooder is going to hit a bump in the road and that one ton will fold up like a house of cards. I've seen it happen. 10 ton is about twice what it should handle.

About 2.5 ton on a heavy 3/4 and 5 max on a beefed up one ton is more than enough .Even dually's can only handle so much safely .

Now I say all this but I have broken springs before myself .Makes em go down the road kind of funny like .They want to go in a circle for some reason or another .

Back