dealing with rising diesel cost

VP44's are fine with veggie if they are pre heated with dino diesel, and purged of veggie before shutdown.
Its all a matter of tolerances. The Cummins C9 in my log truck will start from cold in freezing weather with semi solid veggie in the lines..:)

Ed, are you mixing rotary pumps with in-line pumps?

They are two completely different units.

On the rotary pump, the tolerances ARE very 'tight', which is what gums up using veggi oil. Too hot, and the veggi oil turns into shellac type substance. Also low temps coke up the exhaust.

On an in-line fuel injection pump, delivery of fuel is much simpler so it works better.

I have cut apart a rotary injection pump off of a Ford F350 w/a 6.9 liter diesel engine and seen the damage myself to the pump from running straight veggi oil. The oil passage holes are tiny.

Because veggi oil is such a hot new trend, lots of folks have been bringing in the V.W. TDI for conversions..... and then put in a new pump after anywhere from 20 to 40 thousand miles...

I am not convinced that it works very well with the v.w.

Dodge Cummings turbo diesel is a completely different story or the mercedes 5 cylinder.

I hear you Frans - The pump on my Cummins is a huge inline bosch unit - no problems. And yes, the tolerances on the VP44 rotary are what causes problems. However, Elsbett actually do a single tank conversion for these - and twin tanks do fine.

I only assume the inline Bosc is similar to a Cat inline.I've never seen the Bosc apart.My parents motor home with a 300 Hp Cummins uses a Bosc inline.

Now the old Cat deal had a heater by virtue of the fact that the fuel filter chamber was tied to the cooling water.Thus as the engine temp elevated the fuel got warmer,thus thinner.

Someone posted a link somewhere a while backthat I followed showing reduced wear benefits on diesels with various additives. 2 cycle oils at 200/1 actually showed benefits. Anyone else doing it? Obviously a red dye 2 cycle would be a terrible choice. I can't see spending big bucks for additives since diesels already wear very slowly but with diesel at 4 bucks a gallon and cheapo 2 cycle oils showing up on special all the time I decided to do the 200/1 thing. The oil costs little more than the fuel itself and if improved lubricity saves even tiny percentages of fuel and wear it is probably worthwhile.

Here's that chart stumper speaks of.

HFRRtesting.jpg

I don't know how truth there is to this but they claimed before winter blend diesel fuel that kersosine would harm the engine.

The standard practice was to dump a can or two of auto tranny fluid in the tank during cold weather operations .

Geeze before blended fuels,direct injected diesels,glow plugs . etc those things were a beech to get started in the winter.Too much ether would blow the heads .Some times they would hold a torch over the intake to get them going and never shut them off until it warmed back up .Then too the price of fuel wasn't nearly 4 bucks a gallon .

Lubricity...viscosity?

Not sure about rheometry, etc but I do not that S in diesel make it more slippery.

Oh snap! Is that getting more 'spensive too!!

KY would help with the rising fuel problem

12122684_125x125.jpg

I use Miracle Marvel & am confused by the chart ? I need a li'l help understanding how I managed to choose the worst product ?!?

I use Miracle Marvel & am confused by the chart ? I need a li'l help understanding how I managed to choose the worst product ?!?

The chart is for the product added to ULSD TC. It was a independent study. Untreated fuel has a HFRR # of 636 (I believe HFRR is the amount of lubricity in the fuel). Engine manufacturer's suggest less than 460. In order to bring that number down, you want to add something to it. The lower the number the better lubricity. People are choosing to add 2-stroke because it's just to darn cheap, although not the best.

By adding the marvel mystery into your diesel fuel you are doing nothing, spending money and making it even worse for lubricity.

I thought you had a f150 though?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Marvel mystery oil is nothing more than overpriced turpentine with red coloring added. The only purpose it serves is to separate people from money. Any perceived benefits are purely imaginary.

I drive an F-150, yes. I use Miracle Marvel in the crank case & fuel tank.
I guess I'm an idijit. C'est La Vie.
I really thought it helped with cleaning out injectors, etc. My bad.
Edu-ma-cate me !!!

Justin, red coloured 2 cycle oil would give the appearance of untaxed (not road) diesel, which carries a heavy fine.

The TCW-3 thing.... it was an item on the test... the ashless bit I can't cypher.

I was talking over the fence with my neighbor who is a partner in a fuel distributorship and he said that there was additives in the ULSD to make it lube better now and that putting anything in the diesel was a waste of money.

Cool, I figured that was what was meant with the dye thing. I'm thinking of trying out some additive and seeing how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Squishy, wanna buy some Marvel Mystery oil? Only $28.95 per quart, quaranteed to fix what ails ya!
:lol:

Back