Dash board cams

cory

Tree House enthusiast
They gained attention from the Russian meteorite video footage, any of you folks have one? They seem like they might be fun, maybe even useful.

Some cell phone have that dash cam option. They only keep about 10 seconds of footage at a time, with a delay. If the phone senses a large enough acceleration from a collision, it keeps the footage for video evidence.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dont think they are law in Russia, just useful against lawbreakers.

Not much action on this topic, maybe alot of Housers haven't seen all the crazy chit dash board cams have recorded!

They are not law, just very useful in a country where both police and courts are corrupt.

I bet eventually all vehicles will come stock with them. It makes perfect sense!

That makes sense. They are so simple I'm surprised nobody (that I know of) offers them now already.

Good. I love it when bad guys are busted via video. Remember that Xmas-time vid where the UPS guy was busted for stealing the Fed ex package off someone's front porch?? Priceless.

Videos are really useful. The other day while I was across the street at the hospital getting my eyes checked, my wife was shopping at a department store and subsequently put the packages in the back of someone else's truck that looked similar to mine. A short time later the other truck drove off. She said she thought someone stole the packages from my truck, but thanks to the department store parking lot surveillance camera, it was clearly determined that she had made the mistake. I watched it all on the video monitor, along with the store manager and his security people. Embarrassed wasn't the word. :|::|: I'm going to get her eyes checked next time.

I picked a camera for dash mount up a couple years ago, with IR background lighting and all I think it was about $30 on the Ebay out of China. I think I used it twice.

I would assume you leave it on full time and then review it when something of interest occurs

I am a trinket hoarder, got one to play with and never ended up using it for anything important.

I don't know specifically about dashboard cameras, but there are some cheap and quite usable security cameras coming out of China these days and sold on the net. Some of the stuff can be junk too. The second one I purchased after returning the first, worked well enough, and that is how I first observed my neighbor the tire slasher.

I don't know specifically about dashboard cameras, but there are some cheap and quite usable security cameras coming out of China these days and sold on the net. Some of the stuff can be junk too. The second one I purchased after returning the first, worked well enough, and that is how I first observed my neighbor the tire slasher.

Glad you got the jerk!

They can be useful and lots of cyclists and motorcyclists in Britain put GoPro etc on their bikes and helmets as a legal backup.
In time I'm sure they'll be standard on all vehicles. Range Rover and Mercedes S Class already have them front and rear.
In the mean time check out videos like this for a laugh:
http://youtu.be/E-l4w-DIiXk

Back