Customers say the darnest things!

Start time for power equipment is 7 or 7:30 here, it's usually 7:30 I'm rolling up to a job anyways, haven't had many issues with it but would just ignore them.

Brendon, instead of that neighbor all bent out of shape and making a scene, he could have just been sitting quietly in his crib, fingering his cheap but luxurious hand towel, and be thinking what a courteous fellow that you are. ;) Worth a couple bucks, wouldn't you say?

If I have to start real early on a job, I call the local cops first and let them know.
That way when people call them to complain, they get told we have permission and that ends it right there.

I learned that about 20 years ago when I had to take a huge, very dead and brittle elm down at a major road going into the city of Roskilde.
Easiest way was to simply drop the whole top with the lean into the road and clean it up.
Since there is heavy traffic, I decided to do it at 5 AM on a saturday.
We have to call the cops to get permission to close roads, so I did and told my reasoning for starting that early.
Of course we had a lot of folks out screaming at us, and one old gentleman took pictures and said he was going to call the cops on us, now that he had photographic evidence of our misdeed.
I told him to say hi to the officer manning the phone, since I'd just talked to him ½ an hour before.
That took the winds out of his sails, for sure.
So we simply turned it into standard procedure.

"Who do you think you people are cutting trees?" That was after he called the city, then called the cops, and was out to complain himself and take pictures of our work at a neighbor's private residence, while in his pajamas at 4PM. A retired doctor, apparently.

Stig, you can get a street closure with a phone call? Cops there are pretty cool!

I work in the ghetto, as soon as it gets cold I get asked "what cha gonna do wit dat woooood" every day.

I had a good one today

"Can you lower your estimate $200? I don't want to waste my time having people out here and get other estimates"

Yup, you got another good one, lucky:/:

Well, how did you respond??

I said " no, we aren't interest in changing our price, thanks anyways. Good luck". Then she called back. Asking how far out we are, and that shell get other prices now. Ok i said. Then when she calls back next time if she wants me to di it, that two weeks i told her will be two weeks from when she oks the job. That'll piss her off. I don't even wanna do it, shes gonna be a pita. NEXT

Fortunate! I had to get a street closure a few weeks ago, the first time since our relatively small town became incorporated with some others. Before I would just go to the police box and after waking them up, sign a paper and pay a few bucks. that's all, in and out in a few minutes. Now that the town has joined some others in name, it takes at least half a day if lucky, and fairly lengthy forms have to get filled out in triplicate at two different offices in different parts of town, after being a courier taking the signed papers from one place to another. It's too complicated for a foreigner to understand, I have to get some nice person to go with me.

I had the neighbor of a customer, a guy that trains sumo wrestlers say after he saw riding the crane hook, 'That's man's work"! 8) Fiona isn't around, is she? :\:

Email today from an estimate yesterday, says he's sorry but he already told the other guy(close competitor) that he could do the job. Although he's charging more and couldn't tell me what was wrong with the tree, maybe I'll call you next yr when the other trees are dead.
Next yr he better call the same guy,because my price will be double to climb a dead tree!

I had a lawyer, works for the state, ask if I could come down on my price tonight, for a dying Port Orford cedar removal. I sorta shrugged or something. I think I'll be doing the job.

"

Stig, you can get a street closure with a phone call? Cops there are pretty cool!

No, I am a certified street closer, I can close any street I want up to freeways. If I wasn't certified, they'd tell me to go piss up a rope.

Richard and I spent 3 grand each, getting certified a few years back.

On smaller streets I have to verify the cops that I close the street and for what feriod of time. Major streets I have to clear it with the county.

It was actually a really interesting couse, we took.
Learned a LOT about using correct road signs etc.
Having the certificate opens some doors when we do work for the State forests and the county around roads, because they save on not having to bring certified road closers in.

Did a couple of removals over a church this evening and a lady that was watching came up when I finished and said, "I've got a tree that's dying to meet you". I cracked up and immediately thought about this thread. That's got to take the prize for me.

Did that lady have on white rubber boots and a pink shredded sports jersey...and a pot on her head?;)

Attachments

• pot crew boots.jpg
    pot crew boots.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 71
Back