Customers say the darnest things!

I know, I don't recall how many times I have gone and picked up wood, that the people couldn't sell. The think they are going to save money by keeping the wood and selling it. "Oak fire wood for sale" Yeah right, it's green, unsplit, and over priced. I would go and pick it up for free, split it and sell it, I even sold some back to one of the guys once. People are so funny sometimes.

Yeah Mike... I've hauled off a little wood here and there and sold it for firewood. Usually around Springtime. However i sell it in rounds... I don't have a hydraulic splitter, and I ain't doin' it by hand unless it's for me.

But it is amazing how almost every removal job I have done I get asked for 2 bids... my "normal" one for leaving the wood, and my "cheaper" one for if I get to keep the wood...

There isn't much difference in the price, if at all. I bid each job as if i am hauling the wood and brush away.

Gary

Most folks that do a bunch of tree work are over stocked with firewood any way.A few sell some just as a suppliment to their income in the slow winter months. Not many have the time to fiddle with it if they are busy.

Conversely if a pro tree person lived in a cold climate and had the means they would be money ahead to at least use some wood for heat.Now just how many people get paid,in essence,to cut their own firewood,such a deal is this.8)

You said it Al. I am stocked on firewood. I never give a 'deal' to keep the wood, if someone thinks their wood has value I just recommend they keep it. My price is always more for removing wood.

Getting in late on this one... just a few I chuckled at... some more than once.

Lady phone call... I heard you trimmed trees from so and so.. will you trim them in exchange for the fire wood..... ??

Of course there is always will you work for fire wood...
And yes folks we have some up here that do... Beer sometimes also.. LOL

Meeting with client for an estimate.. Tree (ponderosa pine head leaner over house at 80 plus feet tall.... Power drops and lines on 3 sides... Most of the tree will have to be lined over house to back yard. No room for crane or bucket... And I Quote.. "You sure you are going to have to climb it?? Can't you just pull it over.. You have insurance, if you just pull it over and it hits the house right ? (I think they wanted a new house here)" :what:. Did I mention the root ball was raising the foundation here?

"Senior discount ????? " One of my personal favs on a 1 hour job... :roll:

Dead oak hanging over driveway... "how long do you think I have before it just falls in the driveway?" Response... Jeeee any time this year or any year after... here's my card and just call when it does and I will take care of it for you :D

Or this one.... "Are you sure you want to do this?" Meaning leave the ground as I am gearing up on a 30-40 foot tree that is pretty much a walk in the park .. :lol::lol:
Mind you in my head is .. are you sure you want to pay me for the fun I am about to have killing this friggen easy bastage??:lol::lol:

Reads sign on truck "You guys do brushing right ?" :lol:

Responding to ad... "I see here you do chipping. Do you charge extra for that?":lol::lol:

My retort to the seniors discount is 'nope, we dont discriminate against folks because of their age"

I had one of those customers watch me on a small removal. 12" DBH notch & flop type... At the end of the job she said, "That machine is amazing! But, where does the tree go?" I was confused to say the least...:what: She was only in her 50's so she wasn't that old...

I asked her, "Didn't you see me put it into the rear end of the chipper?"

She said, "Yeah. But, where does it go once it goes in there?"

OMGosh! I wanted to crack up laughing. :lol: She watched all the details of the work and didn't see the chips flying into the chip truck. I had to bit my tongue and kindly explain it to her.

That was weird.

Whenever I bid a removal, I always like to ask "out of curiosity, why do you want this tree removed?"

My favorite answers:

I can't sleep when the wind blows
I need the money I'll get from selling this to the mill
Trees are dangerous! (said by a Texan who moved to Washington state because he was tired of the city)
Because it will piss off my neighbors
Because the dang thing talks too much! (really - this guy actually believed the tree was talking to him and he couldn't stand it anymore, so hired me to cut it down)

"I hate willow oaks because the leaves are too hard to rake."

"I hate sweetgums because the little balls are too hard to rake."

"Just cut it down, the birds sit up there and crap on my car."

Maybe we should all start offering a paving service to follow up on our tree removals. It sounds like 1/2 our customers are neurotic clean-freaks who would probably appreciate the nice smooth asphalt when it's done.

Back