Crane removals

Out of the 200 or so crane removals I've done, I can't recall any where the climber was the bottleneck of the operation. Invariably I end up sitting in the tree waiting for the ground crew to clear a hole so I can send them the next piece. I'm lucky to have 3 guys on the ground for the typical crane removal. There is no 'extra climber' to sit in the tree with me waiting on the ground crew.

Word ^2.

But then again, working for John was the first time I had to use a redirect. Then again, that was the first time I had to use 2 redirects on the same horizonal pitch.

In wide assed trees I could see two climbers for sure. I know John isn't the only yahoo that uses two climbers. Drunk George was quite expressive in how he liked to sit at the bottom of the cannopy and run the saw while the other climber was setting slings.

Im not saying its the only way, I used to do them solo, and sure noone was waiting on me in the tree. But I assure you, if you have a competent climber to tag team it with you, it will go twice as fast, I dont care how good you are.

And I do understand and realize a second climber is not always available, as I mentioned above. Remember, I was once small mom and pop, and THE only climber.

I also think its a regional thing. We have hugely wide American Elms and Bur Oaks, often twice as wide as they are tall. I would never consider tag teaming a tall slender tree.

In some occasions, I can find that the crane jobs can be faster, therefore the customer can save money. And it is much more entertaining to watch!8)

Back to the shackle above the ball, or collar in our case. I only work with the same crane operator except on rare occasions. Generally he brings in the work and calls me up. Got a job on tomorrow :) He has looooong experience at treework, and came up with the idea to have the cable slide through the shackle. As I mentioned, we've been using that method for a number of years.

It's only a 24 ton crane, and it seems like on most jobs, the boom has to be fairly well extended, so really massive weight lifts through the shackle are pretty non-existant. It's more a concern that the crane can handle the lifting capacity....and/or without going tippy. He's got the computer dis-connected, and I was serious about bouncing the tree to the crane in another post, he sometimes does that when the crane might want to lift up. We use a cut at the stump that slides the tree off in the direction of the crane, then maybe a few bounces before the tree can be lifted up properly. The operator really knows his tool, and I think in tree work that can make a big difference in how you approach things, what you can get away with. Most of our work is in pines, rather than broad limbed trees.

I can appreciate the hesitation you guys experss about the shackle, it being unconventional and all, but it really has worked well for us. Very interested to read that Mr. Sir uses that method as well.

I'm lucky to have 3 guys on the ground for the typical crane removal. There is no 'extra climber' to sit in the tree with me waiting on the ground crew.

I recently was hired by a construction company to go to another island to remove a big mango tree. They told me they had a 38 ton, 130 ft. crane and a 66 ft. manlift at my disposal. I told them they would need some guys on the ground to cut up the branches. The first picture shows the manpower they had on the ground. This operation went so fast with the crane, manlift, 2 tandem dumps, a skidsteer and excavator to move the debris and a backhoe loading the trucks. Another plus was the dump site was only 10 minutes away.

The owner of the tree is standing by it to show the size. It was about 80 ft. tall and the base over 6 ft. wide. Lots of big logs that was taken by the owner to be milled.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 95
Koa Man,

That looks like a cool job, and they didn't spare on the man or equipment power. I've only seen a photo of one table made from mango. I take it that it's a fairly soft wood? Grain pretty?

On another island, huh...obviously some guys know how to live!

As far as making you a rocking chair, I'd really enjoy doing that :) Wonder what it would cost to send me some nice Koa?
Of course I give discounts to fellow tree workers, but still, not too early to start saving up! ;)

Second climber here.....til I get my Rig em and roll:D

two works much better on really long horizontal pics. Think outside the box on this one MB......it is faster and easier. I don't bother on vertical stuff though

it will go twice as fast, I don't care how good you are.

I also think its a regional thing.

That could very well be true. And as far as going faster, the ground crew can only make so much brush disappear in a certain time period. I'm sure you don't bury the groundies in brush.

The only time I want someone else placing the sling is when it's a long horizontal limb and the end of the crane and the hook are close together, requiring me to use a short sling. In scenarios other than that, I simply use a long sling while the crane operator winches up hard, bending the limb UP as far as he can safely do it. Then I can easily make my way down the limb, to the trunk.

Crane removals I have done little. Only two in Ft. Bragg in 34 years. But I can see everyone has some valid points in this discussion, on manpower and techniques.

However, Jay I can't quite envision the point your were trying to make. If I assumed I'm sure it would be wrong.

I guess the best way to describe would be to get a photo the next chance I get.

Did a crane removal just today, but no room for the 24 ton with the shackle technique, so we rented a tight little 7 ton. Had a heck of a time getting it out of this wet bog we were working in, it took almost two hours to move it fifty feet. Hope to get the pics up. The plan was to get home early :cry:

I am still a crane virgin ...there were a few times when I had the access for the rig and even began to schedule my local crane man ... he originally purchased his first crane for log home business ...for a reasonable rate he will come , hoist , he is experienced with trees... I would have made money by bringing him in (and get valuable eperience) .I chose to stubbornly to rig , piece , and lower everything...I took'm down in five to eight hundred pound pieces...Howard and his crane will hoist eight to ten thousand pounders ...next time I will not hesitate to GO BIG..

I am still a crane virgin ...there were a few times when I had the access for the rig and even began to schedule my local crane man ... he originally purchased his first crane for log home business ...for a reasonable rate he will come , hoist , he is experienced with trees... I would have made money by bringing him in (and get valuable eperience) .I chose to stubbornly to rig , piece , and lower everything...I took'm down in five to eight hundred pound pieces...Howard and his crane will hoist eight to ten thousand pounders ...next time I will not hesitate to GO BIG..

once you taste crane....you'll always be looking for it......:D

Haha...cranes are awesome. I like the feeling of getting raised and lowered by a crane...all that power under control, and it gets transmitted through the cable. The first time I rode the ball on the large crane, our operator must have said to himself, "OK, lets get it over with", and took me straight up, about 2/3 as high as possible and swung me over, way above the trees. I sh@t in me pants :\:
It was cool though, and after that I love it.

Back