Tying into the crane ball

@friedrich

Can’t speak to your country’s regulations, but don’t think that would be legal in the USA.

Look at wesspurs tie in.

You can replace the tether and spiral wrap cheap enough as well.

And maybe buy your crane man some brake cleaner 😂.

89A68AB9-4A4F-43E4-A524-2665E3AE8A4F.jpeg

Ive gotta talk my crane company into putting a ring (master link?) over the ball!
currently using some old climb line choked around a medium rigging ring with some 1" tubular webbing as a chafe sleeve
I put my flipline through the hook whenever possible, once im ready to rappel off the ball I take my flipline off and don't use it till I'm ready to tie into the tree.
1671407414789.png

The idea behind the "non legit tie on the hook" is that the hook can have some sharp burs from lifting with cables or wire slings. That would dammage the rope.

@BIGTWIG are these meant to chock around the wire rope on single strand setups? one crane op once told me that i am not allowed to attach anything above the hook. bad things can happen if something get jammed into the pulley sheeves. i used to use a 1 ton webbing loop with a shackle similar to the ones on you picture, but i cant find it atm.

haha as long as the chains are not covered in grease, i am happy :)

I am leaning towards, “not legit”.
How about installing a short section of chain above the hook and tie into the chain, grease free.
ok, thanks for the feedback. to my knowledge i am not allowed to install anything above the hook. need to recheck that. maybe a heavier duty strap with a shackle (with pin) and a big steel masterlink behind the loadbearing masterlink?

“bad things can happen if something get jammed into the pulley sheeves”

The anti-two block device should activate before than happens. If the crane you have or rent doesn’t have one you’re dancing with the devil and should educate yourself about crane safety.

ok, thanks for the feedback. to my knowledge i am not allowed to install anything above the hook. need to recheck that. maybe a heavier duty strap with a shackle (with pin) and a big steel masterlink behind the loadbearing masterlink?
You would tie into the terminal end off the cable not it’s running parts, so it wouldn’t interfere with the sheaves. Do you have a pic of the whole hook?

You would tie into the terminal end off the cable not it’s running parts, so it wouldn’t interfere with the sheaves. Do you have a pic of the whole hook?
no picture, but the terminal end was terminating at the boom tip.

“bad things can happen if something get jammed into the pulley sheeves”

The anti-two block device should activate before than happens. If the crane you have or rent doesn’t have one you’re dancing with the devil and should educate yourself about crane safety.
never heard of the anti-two block device. can you explain, please? there are a couple of things i will check before working with any crane: ground, condition of chains, is the operaters head and crane hook screwed on properly.

a coworker tied in above the hook and somehow the cable got tangled, they had problems with the winch. idk exactly, i will ask him next time i see him.

doesnt make sense to me to terminate at the tip as they are loosing m.a. but they probably have a reason!?

no picture, but the terminal end was terminating at the boom tip.
in this case my advice would be to get something like a master link, or a big clevis to go in the hook, only use the type of clevis with a pin and nut w/cotter pin lock
once thats in the hook, then install the rigging and pin the gate in place, R clip, wire, anything to stop the gate from opening and letting your ring or clevis fall out
due note ive only ever ran a single part line and NEVER had to tie into the hook, so this is just what I have read online from other crane guys, and what I can see myself doing if the crane shows up with his block installed next week

From what I can translate he’s talking about a two part line. If I’m correct you can’t “ride” that anyway. Title of the thread is misleading. With a single part line you sit on the ball to “ride” it.

Back