Tying into the crane ball

It's not often that we work with a two part line but there's usually something on the block to put a friction saver or shackle on. Sometimes they have a spot where they pick them up to move them when not attached to the crane.

This was always a crane underwriter's no-no here, so had to have operator that would go along, not fresh out of a training film or other dis-course.
i maintained the 2is1, 1isNone mantra by starting with it, especially in no-no land and operator watching. Also with a safety keeper of sling and carabiner to
Personally favored link/lanyard to ball and actually climbing line in hook or pulley to climbing line as main loaded support, lanyard as slacker backup.
>>Look for best rigging points when over tree, carrying rigging line, many times easier to lace rigging line with crane to point usably near but pulling way from planned TIP.
Arrive at target undo slack lanyard; and lower carcass to premium, not just primary hit position to nest in well to fair scaffolding; maybe lanyard already around tree when stop.

I’m just trying to understand what you’re doing.
on this job i tied into the cambiumsaver with my double line and while the crane was moving around i also put my lanyard through the hook, than when the boom was in position i unclipped my lanyard and rappeled down to where i wanted to attach the chains, than i would rappel to where i wanted to cut. tie in there and make my cut.

greetings

I never understood the lanyard thru the hook thing either. I'd rather know if something on my main tie in is going to slip or otherwise be unsecure as I'm lifted off the ground then when I unclip my lanyard to tie off the pick.
Cutting while attached to the ball then yes that's a good secondary but we climb and maneuver all the time on just a climbline tied into something that is "unrated".

its just a nice feeling getting hoisted 45m above hard ground.
yep
open air and getting hoisted up well over 100 feet in a few seconds always makes me re think my tie in, even if it was the best in the world there is always something I wont trust much on the first ride up

Have you guys tried being OCD and doing a triple check before flight ?
i am thankfully not suffering from ocd but i check/observe my gear very carefully. are you saying that putting the lanyard around the hook doesnt make sense when your disconecting at some point anyway to hook up the chain? :)

@friedrich

My opinion is there’s a point where having more slings, ropes, bags, and a big saw to articulate around makes it harder to drop into position and more things can get caught up in the canopy. Something being caught may prevent the climber from being able to rappel out of a bad situation.

My way is I will double check every attachment point on my saddle and bridge, and the hardware on the crane ball before leaving the ground. Before I get hoisted to the top, I will make sure my climbing system actuates and stops. Once I am in the tree I will double check my lanyard prussik is dressed and the biners are through the D’s before I pull the climb rope from the crane ball, especially in cold weather wearing heavier gloves.

Any gear or rope that is remotely compromised gets replaced. Replacing compromised gear and double or even triple checking my set-up, Then I can focus on the work, maximizing production, not the “what if’s” of my gear.

You are the commander of your ship, if it works for you, keep on doing it. Bottom line.

Maybe he just means being hoisted quickly 100 feet up is simply a challenge to feel fully comfortable with :).
yep
im a million times as likely to die in a car accident on the way to work, get ran over setting cones out, or get chipped, not scared of any of those, but falling off the crane? yeah that scares me

no idea why my brain functions that way but it does

yep
im a million times as likely to die in a car accident on the way to work, get ran over setting cones out, or get chipped, not scared of any of those, but falling off the crane? yeah that scares me

no idea why my brain functions that way but it does
Pretty normal, I think :).

Back