Copier/Printer/Scanner Advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hell, I'll hardly ever use mine - 2 or 3 times a month, maybe. It sounds like I need a lasar.

lasers use toner and fuse it to the paper, it won't run or fade if it gets old or wet. Inkjets use liquid ink that dries on the paper, most of it is water soluable and it fades somewhat over time.

Some lasers use a toner cartridge with a built in imaging drum (more expensive cartridge), some keep the drum separate(less expensive cartridge). The drum has to be replaced every so often so it can be an additional maintenance expense.

Cheaper (in price) lasers generally have the built in drum type of cartridge.

Most inkjets are designed as disposable technology. Stuff goes wrong with the heads or the waste ink reservoir gets full and you toss it for a new one. They work well as long as you use them regularly. Not necessarily a lot, just enough to keep the heads from drying out and clogging.

Yeah sumtin like he said....
Also, I have never had my toner "dry up" like an ink cartridge will.
My printer has the full toner drum cartridge.
And no it does not scan.
I have 3 that do scan and they are all ink. Ones we print pics on full color and one also works as a fax. Never been thrilled with the ink ones for just regular printing. Hardly use a scanner or the fax, So the ol toner HP 4P works just great.

my pops uses a laser printer for his business, he prints TONS of stuff especially around tax time as he is an accountant, he has an HP laser printer and goes through a few thousand pages between toner cartridges I think.

My pops in law has an HP scanner/inkjet printer/fax. Its kinda of cool (bluetooth and all that) but his ink is pricey and seperated to the 4 cartridges.

Personally I have a canon scanner (Canoscan Lide 35, USB hookup, thin flatbed that can be and is used on its side, think rotate unit 90 degrees counterclockwise in a little stand thingie) Used a few tims a month.

I have an older Epson printer (C-62) with a three color and a black cartridge, CHEAP ink as Epson doesnt patent their cartridges like HP and others there are knockoff cartridges available. I buy from a local wholesaler and pay $4 for black and $6 for color (yup, thats what the stores pay then charge you like $35, I see the EXACT cartridges in Staples for that much). I have been using this printer for probably 6 years or more, daily.

For faxing I have a cheapo small desktop Panasonic unit (KX-FP205) that prints on plain paper rather than thermal paper. It gets used maybe 5 times a month.

HINT: I print stuff daily. I changed the default to 'fastdraft' instead of 'normal' and it helps keep the ink cost down. You can always change it to 'Normal' if you need it, but most of my printing is just for my own use so a not so dark copy is just fine.

I use draft mode as well when its something multi paged that I dont need the darkness or contrast for presentation.

and I dont change the cartridge when the software suggests it, I wait till it wont allow me to print any more, period. :)

Back