154.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0059.jpg
    DSC_0059.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0128.jpg
    DSC_0128.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
well....didn't coos bay it. just stuck to the old school. wasn't the time to experiment. the tree did re-locate abit when i removed the backstrap. those cracking sounds always keep you on your toes....... but i set it up first with an undercut, so if it did decide to go all the way, there was a direction for it to follow.

Nice! You done good there. I think we all come across a few of those trees that we study and study over for a week or two or three and then it turns out all it needed was a good old school humboldt and a backcut. Good job!

Good to see that one safely on the ground.
That is not something we'd come across here in our well managed ( some would say, over managed) forests, except for after a big storm.

Excellent work and great documentation. One of the best threads on this forum in a while. Thanks for including us on this one. :thumbup:

Yep....there were a couple of lessons, there. One was I would have like to had the tree have more speed. It kind of stalled at the crowns of it's neighbors about 10 feet away. I think it's because it was a DF I could have had a narrower hinge, which I didn't, and consequently made it procede too slowly.

The next lesson was I should have center bored the hinge, which would have allowed the tree to pull more to the side I wanted it to go to. The complete strip of hinge kind of held it in its natural lead which also made it stall a bit.

The next lesson was I could have hung in there at the stump longer, which would have allowed me to get the speed I desired. But the pucker factor was up there, which made me not want to hang around too long, so it was a slow motion fall.

As you all know, it's a balancing act between the desired results you want, and the ability to recognize when to hold em and when to fold em.

Most Excellent!
Great pictures and a great self evaluation at the end...very informative to read about how it went and what you discovered to go along with the pictures...thanks!

Man, you stylin'...ALL your PPE, and a couple big wedges in your pockets...nice

that's cool........"ATG ATT" "all the gear all the time"

oh wait a minute, Bermy.............now i get it...............

Back