Contract climber rate

Hello to all ! Not had time to really read through much of any old post.

Butch, eye is almost good as new. Glass tube was removed about a year ago. Only issue is a tear will run down my face when looking down. Also when looking left or right of someone, I see 3 or 4 them. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Internet can be sporadic for me. Down time at present is spent catching up on sleep. I'm hoping to be back home soon.

Forestry climbers can make good money here on the island, $6 - 800 perhaps, because its a more profitable industry than Arboriculture, and the work environment carries a lot more risk than residential work. As a residential contract climber, you can only charge what the company can afford. And some areas are a lot more competitive than others, which often drives prices down not up.

Reactions: Jed
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your vids clearly show forestry climbers do some serious chit on the, um, reg.

I'm guessing it more tightly defines what the relationship is so companies can't weasel out of responsibility by "contracting out" when what they really have is an employee.

Forestry climbers can make good money here on the island, $6 - 800 perhaps, because its a more profitable industry than Arboriculture, and the work environment carries a lot more risk than residential work. As a residential contract climber, you can only charge what the company can afford. And some areas are a lot more competitive than others, which often drives prices down not up.
Shure Reg... But how consistent is their work?

Basically, in .CA, you now would have to payroll a contract climber because he or she would be performing the same nature of the work the tree company does. Now maybe a landscaper could still hire a contractual climber. But a tree service would have to hire as an actual employee.

Basically, in .CA, you now would have to payroll a contract climber because he or she would be performing the same nature of the work the tree company does. Now maybe a landscaper could still hire a contractual climber. But a tree service would have to hire as an actual employee.

Steve, I wonder how that applies to Lawrence Schultz (@Pfanner man, hasn't logged in recently, and can't seem to tag him)? He's been advertising himself as an indy/contract climber in CA for years, even putting it in his byline at TCIA this past November.

I think most Indy climbers here in wny will command $35-50 hr ... then again in NY state everything is 2x as expensive so take that for what it’s worth ! From my perspective it’s always good to have a pool of talent available for the task at hand ... I always give the guy a fair shake $-wise rather than try and lowball em , keeps the skids greased for everyone involved ... Had a guy from a local tree co try and get me to come out and help him for $13/hr doin all the cutting/splitting bull work ; MY saws/splitter gas wear/tear on vehicle AND Frankie !!! ... I told the guy to go take a nice steaming dump for himself

Seems like a CC should have a daily minimum (maybe half a day), at the designated hourly rate.

Suppose a person can fell a tree in a tight space that other wouldn't. You can't penalize a guy for being an Ace.

Possibly also an overtime rate, past 8 hours or something, especially if it's due to the General Contractor's crew/ machinery being a limiting factor.

Without knowing how the business works in practice, I think I'd do $x to showup on site, $x/hr to work, and a travel differential over a certain radius from my house/shop. Anything over x hours worked would be an increased rate.

Shure Reg... But how consistent is their work?
Its year round for some crews Jed, except for when the fire risk is too high, or its too dangerous to fly in storms or fog etc. Right now the industry is in the midst of a massive dispute between western forest products and its workers, so thousands are out of work right now until it gets resolved. But preceding that standing stem extraction was a regular full time job for those made of the right stuff.

RC, can you tell a bit more about the dispute?

Sean, basically yes. I've been doing all the climbing AN -After Ninja- but we are super busy which is unusual for winter so I was thinking of having someone on some jobs to reduce the back log. And there's one tree I just don't want to do cuz it's going to take expert climber and expert ground crew. Gotta trim back a massive sugar maple and get some deadwood in a crazy confined spot. Gave her a price of 11k to remove it or 2800 to trim it a bit, she said trim.

Thanks.

So 3000 WFP workers have been on strike since July?!? Is there a lot of non-WFP work being done on Vancouver Isle or are they the whole game?

Back