45 Trees, 3 climbers, 3 weeks of residential logging.

Yea, the 600/620 wrap bars fit perfect. i only had to make a metal strip about 4 inches long and a inch across for the clutch cover side, the bars didn't come with it and i didn't feel ike waiting for them to send it. It wasn't hard though just picked up 3 holes and wammo. Done.
My objective with that saw is a 28'' bar in .325 pitch and run .325 pitch skip on it, it should run out pretty bad ass. I put a 20'' bar on my 450p echo with 3/8 lp and it, pulls it better then the .325 it came with stock.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have 20" on them now with 3/8 .050. Plenty of torque. I am going to muffler mod one and see what I get out of it. Should do great. They have plenty of torque and feel pretty much like a 460 husky. Just need to speed up the chain a tad. Fact is, they look like Echo took the older 460/455 husky chassis and made it theirs.

Really nice to catch back up on this project, well done Stephen... The new avatar is a kick! So much to learn in this thread and a great one for the books.

You guys sure keep a jobsite tidy! Great pics !8)

Thanks Brian! You seem to do a lot of residential logging up there. Cup of coffee and some brain picking at a kitchen table would be fun some time. Or playing on one of your job sites. :D

Well ok then :lol:

Some final photos...
I just got the card back Sunday from the Tree Mortality Counsel
The milling and transport of wood was damn near the third of this job, Not to mention clean up.
Basically, the wood is pretty worthless unless permitted and even then. The price of ponderosa around here, you MIGHT cover the material removal at this point IF you are lucky enough to find a buyer.
What we did was make the wood "more valuable" and more easily transportable for people so it would disappear.
One person came over wiht a cut list for two shed he wanted to build. We obliged and the HO gave them the wood. She can not "sell" or trade the wood with out a permit from an LTO or Registered Forester and a harvest plan. She would qualify for an exemption for fire protection and hazard mitigation as they were all dead. However, you still have to buy the permit, still pay the party that prepares it, the emergency exemption only becomes a smaller and speedier document to be submitted and expedited through the process of approval by California Department of Forestry.
IMG_1554.jpg IMG_1556.jpg IMG_1557.jpg IMG_1559.jpg IMG_1561.jpg IMG_1562.jpg IMG_1563.jpg IMG_1564.jpg IMG_1566.jpg IMG_1580.jpg IMG_1588.jpg IMG_1590.jpg IMG_1591.jpg IMG_1596.jpg IMG_1600.jpg

Moar Later after I sort through them.....

The saw chips/dust was flying Scott.
More of the mill, logs and clean up.
IMG_1602.jpg IMG_1603.jpg IMG_1604.jpg IMG_1613.jpg

Rob did not mill the logs all the way to the ground. There was some considerable waste on the slabs. Pretty ones though. But all we were doing was making the wood Manageable. So the slabs were taken for firewood or projects by some people.
IMG_1615.jpg IMG_1621.jpg

I really liked Dale's trailer. 3 axle. Rated for about 17000. Goose neck and dumps. He has sides to make it a box and stakes for logs. Quite versatile. Compact. 16 footer.
Even though I think he over does it a tad sometimes :/: :lol:

IMG_1627.jpg IMG_1628.jpg IMG_1629.jpg IMG_1631.jpg

Of course Lilly liked his tractor :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1633.jpg
    IMG_1633.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 44
Rob would mill about two of those logs a day. Then the people that wanted the lumber would show up end of day or first thing AM. We took some 19 footers home (2X8 s) for the rafters on my shop. Remember, I have yet to finish stone henge ;)
A lot of good wood came off this job 8)

Attachments

• IMG_1634.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 44
So that is pretty much a wrap. All the select pictures are here.
I might take a few more when I go back in decent weather to get that cable in the damaged tree. Just some shots of the final product. Nuttin spectacular.
Thanks for all the participation in this thread and your patience with the insane amounts of film.
Again a big thanks to my tree brothers for teaching me through their words and eyes the things I needed in my tool bag to even pull a job like this off. You know who you are. Just decades adding up to centuries of experience here in the Tree House. And for Butch to have the House open to the likes of us :) It is truly an invaluable resource.
Thanks to all the crew and contractors for working so damn well together and making this a great time as well as a good job.
I am still looking at and bidding more of these types of jobs. A tad smaller scale (20 trees and maybe a tad less material handling :lol: ).
Sad to see the tree mortality in areas like this hitting 100 percent. Some mountain sides, only the oaks are left. Crazy.
All your input in this thread means something to me. Not for my ego or what not. But for valuable information and ideas I may use, could use, or someone reading might be able to use. We all add to it.

Much respect for starting such a job and seeing it through so smoothly like you did. Tell Katy the pictures are enthralling...she did super with the camera.

And buy Lily a tractor!!

Like the milling pics, more beetle kill in the background of the last photo, gird your loins!

Those ended up removed by two different contractors after and during the time we were there. The last crew told the lady we worked for to leave her house in case something went wrong on one large one they felled. I guess it landed right behind the cedars at the back of the house, less than 20 feet from it. Scared her bad. She let them have it though.. Well Goodman & Cole did it this way... that way, you should make sure with rope etc. Funny shit. I bet they hate us now :lol:
We have removed more trees next to her property and are scheduled to do more at homes all around her. Looked at 17 more yesterday that is going to cost more than 1/2 of this job if we just let the main portion of the logs lie. No access for equipment. MIGHT be ale to squeeze a 30 ton in the drive way IF the op will crib enough for the incline.. See what happens. Portal to portal is 2 hours each way, 2 days work after we strip them and reduce them down to a reasonable reach. That will bump the cost significantly. I doubt they'll pay for a helo :lol:

Another great set of pics Stephen!!...Them big jobs can be stressfull, :|: I hear ya about going smaller :thumbup:

Boy, no one can say "pics or it didnt happen" :lol: :lol:

Bump,
Stopped by the lady's place and took some after pictures. Just waiting on winter grass and it will look pretty again this year.
I had her hold back some final funds for me to cable and bolt that one oak I smacked good. All fixed. But she disappeared for a bit with health issues. I saw her car home while I was doing estimates Saturday and took some time to catch up with her. She has a couple more trees that are dying out, really small. So I committed to the removal of them on the fly in the near future. Got my check and took some pictures.
Here is some fodder. Most folks compliment her on her yard stayin as nice as it is after all the carnage. I took some of the property line area as well. You can see what the neighbors have done... Just stuff.
Fodder.
The HO and her neighbor (also a client) were interviewed by a San Francisco paper about the removals. I guess they were impressed. No mention of us though even though she gave them a card and our name. But I guess they stood there and were trying to figure out how we made all the trees fit into the tiny yard with puzzled looks on their faces... She just kept telling them... "they rigged them a piece at a time... that's why I hired them... " Felt nice to hear.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg