Climbing Boot Opinions

I have the Sheridan model 600gr composite toe. So far I am pleased with them they are not the greatest on ice and deep snow but kept my feet warm down to about 10* then it was back to pack boots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The senior foreman\climber wears those boots (Keen) he has some Hoffman's but he says he likes the Keen boots better.

I love Keens! I have wide feet and they fit the best of any boot/shoe I have found with a nice roomy toe box for the lill piggies. Their steel toes are just as roomy as without steel toes.

Top end Climbing boots in euroland are based on winter mountaineering boots. The best have vibram soles and come just over the ankle. They work well with or without spikes.

Iv never climbed in 16" boots, but I honestly can't imagined why anyone would want to, especially with modern spikes and pads. Maybe with the old fashioned straight steel shanks and thin leather straps, but there is so much choice and levels of comfort and fit are such that one could wear spikes over sneakers if you so desired.

Haix-Protector-Forest-Chain.gif

What Peter said but I would also add this; Consider how many hours a day/week/month you spend in the boots. Then consider how important comfort is and what cheap boots will do to your back/neck over time.
When I buy boots I consider only two things: Quality and comfort.
I never ever consider price because the extra coin spread over the months that you will be in the boots is negligible.

Well the senior climber brought me some boots today that are too small for him. He wore them maybe a week and they hurt his feet. They are in fantastic shape but man they are hot. They have thick insulation so a 12 fits more like an 11. They are Lowa GTX Pro's. I can tell they are a fine boot but I think i will still have to get something with no insulation for these hot days then switch back to them this fall.

Here are some pics, they weren't even dirty till I wore them today and he wouldn't take any money for them. I am going to try and get him to take some cash or maybe some gear or something because I looked these things up and they were really expensive.
Lowa.jpg
Lowa closeup.jpg

I wore Lowa boot for a good few years until I found Keens. The Renegade was a personal fav great all arounder, but keens come in at less than half the price.

I've always wore redwing loggers except for a year ( and three pairs in that time) of Carolina's. I did buy a pair of loya's 18 years ago when I was hiking and back packing a lot. Probably the most comfortable thing to ever touch my feet. I'm glad this thread came up as I've been playing catch up on the advances in climbing gear this past year. I'm gonna try something other than loggers this year.

dood!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0jPLXF-lWOQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

also, what about these for summer?
image_66004.jpg

Bro those are soooooo last year, you need some green one's in todays fashionista world!

Thos kinda look like the "Cadillac" we had in the Corps except with a "cheater" toe for inspection.

I rocked those and Danners after boot camp, way better than the issue stuff imo.

Back