Climber Falls - Not wife/kids safe!

That's awful, but thanks for posting to remind us all of the dangers at height.

Could have been alot worse seeing he wasn't wearing a helmet!:roll: At least he had the smarts to use his climb line as a lanyard for safe emergency exit.......but that unintended exit wasn't so safe was it?
Pruning a tree with spurs :what:as he mentioned the paint made the tree look like it wasn't ever pruned.

Can anyone tell what exactly happened there? He used an additional rope to pull himself up to a limb, then unclipped his lanyard?

I can't forget to tie in. Its like the ONE freaking thing I can't possibly forget while climbing. Of all the things I have forgotten, my mind has never even come close to glitching on that one.

Roger that...I have been distracted or bad hot and tired before and realized I was considering unsnapping a lanyard when I didn't have my climbing line set. I can see it happening. Constant vigilance (at least shooting for that) is our best hope.

I once had someone asking a million questions as I was starting up the climbing line...I finally put them on ignore when I looked down and noticed one leg of my eye-eye was not on the biner...it had slipped off when I put the biner through my bridge connection. It was still holding my weight fine but it is unsettling, disconcerting and a real WTF realization when you look down and see something like that.

I've learned to go into "mission mode" when I start doing dangerous stuff...it's too easy to get comfortable doing some things and not acknowledge the seriousness of what we are actually doing. Appearing to be casual when doing something dangerous may look professional to some...it may also be a sign of complacency. Only the doer of the deed really knows which one is correct.

Back