Climber Falls - Not wife/kids safe!

I don't like watching it, I watched it again full screen. It appears he was on his lifeline and lanyard, unclipped from the lifeline, THEN, unclipped his lanyard, swung it around the tree as he was hanging on, (free climbing at this point) and lost his grip before reattaching his lanyard.

Anyone else seeing this?

Are they talking about this at TB or AS?

I try to look at climbing each day as a flight check list.... Life line tied in correctly, biners closed and locked... check....
Flip line secured and locked.... check........
etc etc. repeat over and over......
Before I undo any link, I double check my second link...... Check and check again...... I gots kids to come home to.

I got that phrase from some poster on TB I think re the same situation, and it is indeed memorable and succinct.

Yeah, you've got to be comfortable and fluid, but still constantly double checking, and building in redundancies where possible.

MB, when for example you are setting up the outriggers on the bucket and one side is down and before you set up the other side someone engages you in a conversation about whatever and then when you are done talking you forget you haven't fully set up the bucket and you go up in it and swing to the side and the bucket tips over and you die cuz someone distracted you with conversation.

I just went back and counted. Paragraph 2...I took 78 words to basically say "conversations kill".

Distraction from conversations when we should be checklisting like Stephen says is a no-no.

Capisce?

I think he was complacent and comfortable with what he was doing...and distracted by trying to carry on a conversation with the owner. You don't have to be having a conversation to be distracted. There are usually plenty enough monkeys in our heads to keep us distracted. It's imperative to be focused on what is important at certain times...I assume he was not.

It looks to me like he made a simple mistake of unclipping his life support...we can't really know why he did it...distracted? Only he could tell us his thought processes.

MB, when for example you are setting up the outriggers on the bucket and one side is down and before you set up the other side someone engages you in a conversation about whatever and then when you are done talking you forget you haven't fully set up the bucket and you go up in it and swing to the side and the bucket tips over and you die cuz someone distracted you with conversation.

And that's just a plumb straightforward story/example of a very possible WTF scenario:lol:

Yeah, you've got to be comfortable and fluid, but still constantly double checking, and building in redundancies where possible.

Exactly.. If you do it over and over and over again each time... it does become fluid, even double checking. One of my biggest peeves is a "self tending hitch". It is a misnomer... ALWAYS double check setting your hitch etc.. If you do the same movements over and over... it becomes smooth and second nature.. And if you ask yourself, "did I check that or not?", check it again to be sure.. Never take for granted that you are all good to go.

Good meat and potatoes safety stuff here!! Long live the House.

I freak people out when I make the (on big trunks) underbed cut still tied into the crane. Of course, I reset my rope for the backcut.

I once almost did that. But before making the back cut I looked up just to confirm the favor of the top. What a surprise.

Long day working in the cold rain and the last cut of the day. Bar was into the back cut a few inches and just :\:remebered my top tie. Few frantic seconds holding the wood and removing the rope.
Lucky! Few more mm and wood have been game over.

I almost did it once and my groundman got my attention early on in the back cut. Once was enough of a lesson to forever hone my focus in that scenario.

I friend of mine did it, he saw the problem just as the top was starting to go over, thought to himself "this is going to hurt," he was able to grab his taut line and hold it so the rope ran thru it as the top fell, as he held on for dear life.

Back